Rate my mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyboy

Reaction score
So I cobbled together a mash tun out of a 48 quart cooler and I was just wondering what some of the pros think of it. I still need to get a barb for the spout so that I can attach a hose. I'm just worried about the screen on the inside not being big enough. Anyway, what do you think? The cooler was $20 at Big Lots. I ripped the guts out of a water supply line and used the stainless mesh for the screen inside. The brass fittings and spout were probably $15 or so.

30lexhu.jpg

987sow.jpg

Hi Arty. Huge Caveat: I am not the DIY or MLT expert and use a round cooler rather than a square cooler. My advice would use it once and see how it works. I would look into whether the screen is wide enough - looks long enough, but from the picture it looks pretty narrow.

Cheers!

Looks like mine and mine has worked fie for 10 brewing sessions and counting. If no leaks then test that baby out.

My only suggestion would be to add a twisted piece of wire like some on HBT have done. I have crushed my screen a couple of times with the mash paddle, and it results in a very frustrating stuck sparge! Since adding the spring, perfect runoffs every time!

If that is a "real stainless" braid and not a plastic imposter, that should work absolutely fine. I would suggest that you stir the mash lengthwise on each side of the braid. There is no need to stir the crap out of your mash and twist the braid like an amish sour dough pretzel. Just use reasonable care and you'll be fine. What's Denny up to w/ a simple braid like that, 928,427 batches??:mug:

looks pretty good to me. I have a similar setup. I have a 70qt Coleman Xtreme and a Bazooka Screen. I was tempted to use the water supply line. It was $13 and the Bazooka screen was $20 or so. I am planning on constructing a full PVC manifold but I love the Bazooka Screen.

My only suggestion would be to add a twisted piece of wire like some on HBT have done. I have crushed my screen a couple of times with the mash paddle, and it results in a very frustrating stuck sparge! Since adding the spring, perfect runoffs every time!

Do you wrap it around the screen? I've got an idea of what you might be talking about but I'm not sure.

Do you wrap it around the screen? I've got an idea of what you might be talking about but I'm not sure.

I have also seen the coil inserted into the screen.

I have also seen someone use plastic tubing with holes cut into it.

Anything to keep the screen from collapsing

Back