German Beer Experts - Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About 9 or 10 years ago, a good buddy of mine traveled to Germany to visit his relatives. He brought back a large bottle of beer (22 oz?) from a small town brewery. IIRC, the beer was dark, not stout dark, but deep red/brown. I remember it was malty, rich, flavorful and heavenly. I believe the name was something like Schwatz Alt, but not 100% sure... My buddy is no longer with us so I can't ask him what it was. I would love to find out what exactly the beer was and get a bottle of it again. Even better, I would like to try to brew it. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate your input.

thanks!

About 9 or 10 years ago, a good buddy of mine traveled to Germany to visit his relatives. He brought back a large bottle of beer (22 oz?) from a small town brewery. IIRC, the beer was dark, not stout dark, but deep red/brown. I remember it was malty, rich, flavorful and heavenly. I believe the name was something like Schwatz Alt, but not 100% sure... My buddy is no longer with us so I can't ask him what it was. I would love to find out what exactly the beer was and get a bottle of it again. Even better, I would like to try to brew it. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate your input.

thanks!

Schwelmer Alt? It's available in the U.S. It could also be Schlösser Alt, which I don't know if it is exported.

Alt beers are mostly brewed in the vicinity of Duesseldorf, and are one of relatively few examples of German barley ales (Koelsch being the other major one).

Schlosser Alt could be it. Schwelmer Alt's description sounds similar so I'm pretty sure that's the right style. I have no idea where I can track down some of those beers, but I'll check with the local bottle shops to see what help they can provide.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Any Altbier should fit your description. It's a style that is hard to find in the US. I found Southampton Alt when I was in Ohio and brought a six pack back to Texas. Very nice beer out of a brewery in Pennsylvania. It's the only Alt I have run across so far though I don't admit to have been looking very hard.

Any Altbier should fit your description. It's a style that is hard to find in the US. I found Southampton Alt when I was in Ohio and brought a six pack back to Texas. Very nice beer out of a brewery in Pennsylvania. It's the only Alt I have run across so far though I don't admit to have been looking very hard.

You were lucky with your beer. Of all the American Alts I've tried (I do look for them), that one is the only one I've had that was at all close to what I've had in Germany

Hmmm... I probably won't make it to that part of the US anytime soon. I'll start looking a little closer for alts. Isn't the Alaskan Amber considered an Alt (on the bottle)? That wasn't much like what I remember the German beer tasting like...

Latest posts

Back