2nd attempt at recipe design... Hefeweizen this time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Well, my first batch came out ok but not quite what i expected. It was a belgian though so probably not the best choice for first recipe design. So i decided to do something a little simpler for my second recipe: a Hefeweizen. Let me know what you all think!

4.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 34.00 %
4.25 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 34.00 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 16.00 %
1.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 12.00 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %

1.00 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU

1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

I'm not really sure what the point of the flaked wheat is. I would cut that out. You've already got plenty of wheat malt. Same goes for the cara pils. The wheat malt will give you all the body and head retention you need. I'd also cut back on the hops a bit. I'd aim for 10-12 IBU.

The pils, wheat malt, and vienna all look good though!

+1. CaraPils has no place in this beer. IMO, the best Bavarian Hefeweizen are brewed from Pils and Wheat Malt only - I like 50/50%, but some prefer more wheat - and lightly hopped for bitterness only. I do not recommend flavoring hops, because I think they cloud the flavors that should be highlighted. I don't like the idea of Vienna, either; it's already a malt-forward style, so emphasizing that is kind of pointless.

Hefeweizen is a style in which KISS is paramount. It's easy to get too clever and take it out of whack.

All that said, this is an exercise in recipe design, so you have an excuse to go a bit further out on the limb! :) Tell you what - just drop the CaraPils and see what happens. If you like it, you've succeeded. If you don't, try brewing a KISS Hefeweizen next time.

Prost!

Bob

Ok, i revised the recipe a little. Kept the Vienna in there but really reduced the amount. Still keeping it in there to see what it will do though. Increased the amount of Pilsner and Wheat though to keep up the abv. How does this look now?

6.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 54.55 %
5.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.18 %
0.25 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2.27 %

1.00 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU

1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Back