Controlling alcohol "heat"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
I'm sure that you've noticed that some "big" beers, particularly Belgians, conceal their alcohol much better than others. I'm talking about that alcohol "heat" you get from some high gravity beers. I'm not talking about solventy flavors from too high a fermentation temp.

What types of techniques/processes/ingredients are out there to make a high gravity beer, but not have the alcohol taste be so overpowering that nothing else comes through?

Sweet Malty beer tends to hide the alcohol "Twang" much better than Crisp and dry beer that actually accentuates it.

More or less what my point was gonna be: trying to balance the alcohol flavor with hops and malt, spices, fruit.....etc.

Let me finish your sentence for you.

Trying to balance the alcohol flavor with hops and malt, spices, fruit.....etc Is the true goal of all brewers. This is when beer and brewer truly become one and the lucky bastage that gets the privilege of drinking it not only tastes the goodness of the ingredients, but the passion and skill of the brewer.
Sorry...I kinda went Zen Surfer on you for a second.

Latest posts

Back