keezer Damp-Rid replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks I read the label of Damp-Rid and found it is just calcium chloride. You can buy a 5 lb bucket of it in any pool store for a few dollars. Fill nylon stocking with it and hang 'em in your keezer. Way cheaper.

Interesting. I wonder if DampRid is processed in any special way that the generic cal. chloride wouldn't be.

I still have a pretty big container of DampRid left, and I find it works exceptionally well. Thanks to everyone who mentioned it.

Hey folks I read the label of Damp-Rid and found it is just calcium chloride. You can buy a 5 lb bucket of it in any pool store for a few dollars. Fill nylon stocking with it and hang 'em in your keezer. Way cheaper.

Has anyone tried the calcium chloride? If so, how does it work for you?

Hmmm I was just thinking about putting something in my keezer. My question would be since I do get a little water on the bottom, would the damp rid will help that?

Hmmm I was just thinking about putting something in my keezer. My question would be since I do get a little water on the bottom, would the damp rid will help that?

According to my search, the calcium chloride has some unknown 10% added, that is probably quite toxic.

I've usually wiped out the bottom every few weeks, which is fine though it's a bit of a hassle.
My concern is with the water causing rust, which so far has wiped off.

I'm on the way to Walmart to either get DampRid, or else one of the Eva-Dry 500's.

I've used nylon rope through the drain hole to wick out water.

Caulk it shut around the rope so the cold air doesn't flow out.

It makes a mess on the floor unless you put the output side in flat pan of some sort.

There is also some good stuff I have used before that is rechargeable. You just cook it in the oven for 2-3 hours every few weeks to make it new again. I think it's silica beads. You can get them at gun supply shops.

I actually decided to go with these absorbent socks from McMaster Carr 7201T11. They are cheap and should absorb the water from the bottom. My water usually collects on the back on the bottom so i can just lay the one across the back. I'm figuring I can get away with changing it every month or 2.

just curious ...... I have the same problem with my keezer the walls are pretty wet and i get a small puddle on the floor. I bought damp rid after reading this thread but after doing some research calcium chloride is very caustic to metals ie. our kegs. now my question is if it would need to be in direct contact with the kegs to cause a reaction or does damp-rid cause the enviroment ( the air ) to become more caustic and will react with the metal regardless of contact ? I think whoever has used this method for a while should be able to answer this fairly well. Thanks for the advice in advance.

I've been using generic calcium chloride in my chest freezer fermentation chamber for many months. I have a 1 quart chinese food soup container which I put small holes in then placed it in a milk jug with the top cut off to catch any potential corrosive drippings from damaging my freezer.

According to my search, the calcium chloride has some unknown 10% added, that is probably quite toxic.

I've usually wiped out the bottom every few weeks, which is fine though it's a bit of a hassle.
My concern is with the water causing rust, which so far has wiped off.

I'm on the way to Walmart to either get DampRid, or else one of the Eva-Dry 500's.

I'm unsure of what brand you looked at but I can almost say with certainty that the ten percent is not any more toxic than calcium chloride. Additionally even if it is toxic it isn't volatile (not going to form a gas from solid or an aqueous solution) so it would really have no way of getting into your beer.

just curious ...... I have the same problem with my keezer the walls are pretty wet and i get a small puddle on the floor. I bought damp rid after reading this thread but after doing some research calcium chloride is very caustic to metals ie. our kegs. now my question is if it would need to be in direct contact with the kegs to cause a reaction or does damp-rid cause the enviroment ( the air ) to become more caustic and will react with the metal regardless of contact ? I think whoever has used this method for a while should be able to answer this fairly well. Thanks for the advice in advance.

No corrosion problems as of yet and I can tell you as a chemist that calcium chloride is not volatile so as long as you take percautions to avoid any calcium chloride/water solution from dripping onto any surfaces, you'll be fine.

I personally think the only possible advantage of damp-rid may be that the structure of the pellets might have a more optimized surface area for absorbing moisture. I'm skeptical though if this actually is the case as I've never used damp rid or done any side by side comparisions. Even if it is true considering how cheap the generic is though you might as well just use more of it then getting damprid.

Hope this helps

I need to do one of these mentioned ideas. I get a small puddle of water in the corner of my keezer and it gets annoying to soak it up with a towel and then have it come back the next day.

Silica seems like a good idea. I believe that is the stuff you find in those little bags with electronics or even beef jerky. I assume you can just put some in a sock or muslin bag and replace the beads when the water starts to come back

You can get rechargeable silica by the pound from gun supply stores. I had some a while back and it works great. Just bake it for a couple hours to recharge once it changes color.

horseinmay said:
You can get rechargeable silica by the pound from gun supply stores. I had some a while back and it works great. Just bake it for a couple hours to recharge once it changes color.

Nice. Ill have to find some

Latest posts

Back