1" hole in SS pot - need help to fix or add spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greaserdan

Reaction score
I got a 9 gallon stainless steel pot for $20 on craigslist (see picture). It has a drilled 1" hole in it. Is there a way to fix it with plumbing solder or maybe a plug of some sort or can I add a spigot? From my web searching and looking in hardware and plumbing stores, 1" seems a little big for most ball valve spigots. I don't really want to spend a whole lot fixing it up either as that would kill the $20 deal. I guess I need help on a parts list. Can anybody help me out?
Danny

tun.jpg

Make that hole a little bigger (1.25") and install a water heater element, then you can go electric.

Your best bet - not cheapest - would be to take it to a welding shop and have them cover the hole.

Or you may be able to find a plug. A 3/4" NPT plug might fit, since I think they're a little over an inch. Then you'd need a 3/4" coupling and matching o-ring to seal it. Or better yet, get a 3/4 to 1/2 bushing, instead of the plug, and install a ball valve that way. A 3/4" ball valve is also an option. Just make sure you can return whatever you buy, since it's going to be a lot of trial and error.

Fourth option is you could try to silver solder on a stainless washer. Get one with the correct ID for 1/2" and an OD larger than your hole, then go with a weldless bulkhead mounted in there.

Another idea: not sure if your hole is too large to dimple and pull a coupling through, but there's a sticky thread (Soldering Stainless Steel) on the DIY forum all about it. The 1/2" coupling may be too small for the hole you have, but a 3/4" coupling may work.

I would put a bulkhead and ball valve in it, but 1" bulkheads are EXPENSIVE!!! It's like gigalos....they charge by the inch....watch out!

As Bobby says, 1/2" couplings are just a bit over 1" in diameter. Find a weld ship and have them weld in a coupling. Then you can thread a close nipple into the coupling and add a ball valve.

Back