Bottling from Keg Using Perlick 545 Flow Control Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
Has anyone tried bottling from a keg using the Perlick 545 Flow Control Faucet (and not using a beer gun)? I assume that the 545 may be helpful, as it would help to eliminate foaming, but I wanted to see anyone had any experience with it.

I have a couple of times. I attached some tubing directly to the tap and turned down the flow to very low (but did not adjust psi), filling from the bottom. I got more foam than the biermuncher technique, but not too much, maybe 1 finger worth. I would think you would probably get less foam if you also turned down psi, but I didn't try.

I also noticed air bubbles coming out of the tubing along with the beer. Not sure if this would cause oxidation issues. Also, the tubing was wider than my normal siphon tubing so I wasn't able to attach my bottle filler. Without the bottle filler I find it difficult to judge when to pull out the tubing for a perfect fill height.

All in all it worked well, though I will stick with the bmbf technique for beers that I don't plan on consuming within the next couple of days. Let me know if you come up with a way to attach a thinner bottle filler/racking cane to the wider tubing that fits on the tap.

There's a local craft brew store in Alpharetta Ga that sells growlers and uses these taps exclusively without tubing to fill their growlers. They work great, they are allowed to give out 3 each once ounce samples and using these taps makes it possible. The name is Blind Murphy Craft Brew Store if anyone is interested in checking them out.

Thanks for the replies. I tried attaching a racking cane this weekend, but think the hassle was probably not worth it. I will try bottling directly from the faucet next.

I have these faucets and love them. I was wondering if anyone was bottling directly from them or not.

I do not see the harm of oxidation being an issue if the bottles are consumed quickly enough.

I have these faucets and love them. I was wondering if anyone was bottling directly from them or not.

I do not see the harm of oxidation being an issue if the bottles are consumed quickly enough.

If filled properly, oxidation should be a non-issue. The most recommended method for longer term use is to make sure there's CO2 bubbles all the way to the top of the bottle. This involves knocking the bottom of the bottle on a table as you're about to cap, which will release CO2 all the way to the top. Cap onto the CO2.....voila, no oxidation issues.

purge the bottle with co2, fill directly from 545 faucet, and cap on foam and there you have it folks

I have a bottling wand attached to my co2 tank on a low pressure regulator so I can purge bottles quickly and easily that way.

-=Jason=-

Zombie Alert! Bringing this one back. I just filled a bottle from a Perlick 650SS with a growler filler. Capped on foam. I cracked it open a couple hours later and there was barely a hiss, but the beer poured with a proper head of foam. Is it just that the pressure in the bottle hasn't reached equilibrium between the beer and the head space? Does it take hours to reach equilibrium? Days? It was certainly easy enough to do, but I'd like to know what kind of lead time I need before shipping out to competitions, friends, etc.

Thanks!

It will equalize due to shaking during shipment. I'd make sure that your process is good by ensuring that its carbonated properly after sitting in the fridge for a day.

Wow....old post. Just in case anyone is wondering, I opened a bottle of Scottish ale I filled directly from the tap over 5 months ago and it is perfectly carbed, although not a big hiss as I opened it.

So you can say that bottling directly from these taps has no ill effect after aging. Secret is to fill as close to the top as possible and cap on the foam.

Hope this helps.

Back