Inconsistency From Bottle-to-Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
My saison has been in bottles for about 5 weeks. SG was 1057; final gravity was 1006 (taken on two consecutive days after 20 days in primary) so, I'm pretty certain fermentation was complete.

I added priming sugar solution to the bottling bucket & transferred the beer letting it swirl while filling (I didn't stir after bottling bucket was filled).

I'm noticing that some bottles seemed to be carbed fine, have decent head & taste/finish great; while others don't have much head and are fairly sweet/syrupy.

All of the bottles were cleaned/sanitized the same way, however I got sloppy during bottle prep phase and rinsed some of the bottles with hot water AFTER sanitizing with starsan. So some were rinsed after starsan-ing & some weren't (of course I didn't keep track of which were/weren't).

So any thoughts?

I doubt that sanitation is your issue. My guess is that not stirring your bottling bucket caused an inconsistent priming sugar mixure.

It seems like another one of those things that you hear conflicting opinions on. I use a larger siphon hose that moves the beer faster, therefore a faster swirl during racking. I will be bottling my next batch in a couple of weeks so I will try to gently stir with a sanitized spoon.

I have a keg set up, but I know I'll want to bottle some of the bigger beers I'll be trying.

Back