harvesting yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathanquist

Reaction score
So I just racked a pale ale to secondary and wanted to try my hand at reusing yeast. So I stirred the yeast into the left over beer in the bucket and added extra water. After this I put 75% of the yeast slurry into a sanitized 33oz pet bottle. Is this a successful harvest or what should I do with this bottle

Keep it in the fridge until your next brew day. Then check mrmalty.com for the correct amount to use for the beer you brew. There is a tab for using slurry.

Most likely you have a bunch of unwanted trub and hops in your bottle. Without a pic, it's hard to say. The Mr. Malty calculator might not give you a true reading of actual yeast cells.
You should read the yeast washing sticky on this site.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

If you still have that bucket of yeast cake and depending on how much water is still in there, you could add some more water, wash a new batch and end up with some that is much cleaner.

It has been in the fridge for about 3 hours

ForumRunner_20120118_185735.jpg

Back