Split Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I am doing a Roggen this weekend with 75% Rye Malt. I already understand how crazy that is but I read that there are German Roggens that are nearly 100% Rye. Here is my thought. To avoid the stuck sparge, even using rice hulls, what about doing it in more than one batch. Mash everything together and mash out at 170 ish, then move 2/3rds to a second fermenter held at 170 while you sparge the first third, repete the process three times using not more than the total sparge H2O that you would if you were doing the batch all at once. What do you think, would it work or more importantly why will it not work?

My main issue would be putting grains in your fermenter, not very sanitary. Use a grain bag and tea bag the grains for the sparge? Might be easier.

if you do a step mash with a beta glucanase (113F IIRC) step before the sach step it makes it easier. also, BIAB makes it easier too. I just did a 100% rye malt brew using both methods without a single issue.

Back