Alton Brown calls an end to 'Good Eats'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when he pitched the yeast out of the fridge into the wort at almost 90 degrees F i threw up a little in my mouth. boiling the grains? ack.

i did like that he used ice instead of top up water to cool the beer, but it was still too hot to pitch!

I turn to GE any time I'm stepping into some aspect of cooking that I don't yet understand, or has managed to confuse me. I've been playing around with bread making lately so what did I watch last night? Good Eats: Dr. Strangeloaf of course :) GE was my favorite cooking show to date, I just wonder if what he does next can fill those shoes.

GE was my favorite for a long time. He presents it in a way to show why you can't take short cuts in cooking and for me that helped big time. This includes anything from how to break down gluten while kneading dough to simply letting a steak rest long enough after pulling it off the grill.

Can't wait to make that dry aged porterhouse though...

when he pitched the yeast out of the fridge into the wort at almost 90 degrees F i threw up a little in my mouth. boiling the grains? ack.

i did like that he used ice instead of top up water to cool the beer, but it was still too hot to pitch!

What's wrong with boiling grains? It works for Germany.

What's wrong with boiling grains? It works for Germany.

It works for me when doing a decoction mash as well....But folks have over simplified the admonition about how tannins are extracted (Neglecting the part about PH in conjunction with temp) to become the warning "don't boil your grains or squeeze the grainbag.(something biab brewers do all the time)."

That's very true Revvy. I've done plenty of decoctioms that come out great! It's my way of extending the brew day when I have a pipeline that is too full.

I don't recall if Alton mentioned pH in the episode (I suspect not), but if he did, there is nothing wrong with his practice.

I doubt he would readily encourage people to do anything that tasted bad to him. I also trust that his pallet is very well-defined. It could be that his pH was under control, and that boiling grains with his water is perfectly acceptable.

AB did a fairly simplistic brew and I am pretty sure pH was not mentioned. Many people coudl get passing quality beer with their water and not worrying about pH.

But let's be honest: AB probably didn't even really know or care about pH. It's an advanced subject as far as brewing goes, and he did an extract brew. (or PM)

Some of what we might call "best practices" are likely not strictly necessary, and some of them (like rehydrating dry yeast or pitching on wort) are debatable even amongst us experts.

It would be nice to see a better, more detailed, revisit on homebrewing by AB. Maybe a BIAB batch for those who want to see how the mash works. If only he was still running the show.

It would be nice to see a better, more detailed, revisit on homebrewing by AB. Maybe a BIAB batch for those who want to see how the mash works. If only he was still running the show.

With how, dare I say it, "trendy" homebrewing is right now (and especially how even more trendy cooking shows are), I'm surprised too that AB and/or FoodNetwork haven't done a 1-hour special on homebrewing.

AB would be good at it. He was always good at addressing myths in cooking (and there's certainly plenty of those in brewing) with characters like the evil french chef, paul, etc...

He could get revvy to go on a rant after his air lock doesn't bubble in 12 hours :D

I have not seen the brewing episode of GE. Anyone have a link by chance?

O.K. The "campy factor" turned me off. It makes me think of a show for kids, or a way to keep some people interested. I understand it's appeal and why it was done as such. I think it was a great show. In fact the only other show that was as good, but better in my opinion was "taste" hosted by David Rosengarten (this was the predecessor on food network, mid to late 90's). I liked his style, and the childishness was not present.

Either way the science of food was there. Way more beneficial to those who love food and the way it works than the other less than stellar shows. Consider me jaded though as I am a culinary graduate and on again and off again chef ( carpal tunnel is a *****!! ).

All that said, anything that gets people interested in food beyond the point that we need it to live is great in my book. Better food is like craft beer. It takes passion and care. As well as a desire for something better than "the norm". The pleasure of creating something for someone that garners "this is the best meal I have ever had" makes all of it worth it and more. It is a very gratifying feeling.

So bringing up an old thread because it came up in one of my searches and got me thinking. I love AB and GE and its what one of my staple recipes came from and what helped get me started with brewing (the amber waves was were I got some ideas and techniques in the beginning when I did my first batch). Has since done a lot more research and see the difference in his techniques vs what most here due but I digress.

I loved Good Eats and have several of his books and use them daily, im a science type person and love how he explained why certain things work in cooking and not just do this cause it turns out good like most shows.

Anybody know what he has coming out new or doing now. Dont watch tv much anymore so havent seen what he has going?

He does hosting roles on things like Be the next food network star, and Iron Chef America, which he's done for years. He also did a series called feasting on Asphalt where he road a motorcycle and visiting food places around the country.

Ok so nothing like Good Eats or another show where he is cooking :( Guess Ill have to survive with his books and all the episodes saved

Back