diactyl in my american lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew300

Reaction score
I made a standard american lager about 8 weeks ago. It fermented for about 3 weeks. I started the fermentation at 46 and let rise to 50. I tasted it a couple weeks later and tasted heavy diacetyl. So I brought it up to 65 for a few days and then racked to the keg for lagering. Its been lagering at 34 for 3 weeks now and when I sampled it yesterday, the diacetyl is still there. It comes right through because it is such a light beer. Should I let is sit for a few more weeks or raise the temp and hope that there is some yeast in there that can get active?

I made a standard american lager about 8 weeks ago. It fermented for about 3 weeks. I started the fermentation at 46 and let rise to 50. I tasted it a couple weeks later and tasted heavy diacetyl. So I brought it up to 65 for a few days and then racked to the keg for lagering. Its been lagering at 34 for 3 weeks now and when I sampled it yesterday, the diacetyl is still there. It comes right through because it is such a light beer. Should I let is sit for a few more weeks or raise the temp and hope that there is some yeast in there that can get active?

Did you ever try this (raising temp)? I brewed an Oktoberfest - 50F wort temperature for 7 days, diacetyl rest at 65 for 3 days, then slowly cooled to 32F - been there about 3 weeks.

No hint of diacetyl during fermentation or during 65F rest. Now, tasted a sample after this 3 weeks of lagering, and it is disgusting - smells and tastes just like artificial butter!! I did bring the carboy back to 65F and don't know if I should add more yeast or what. The beer is very, very clear, so likely not much yeast still in suspension.

I got 2 kegs with diacetyled lagers in them, I could not taste any of it before lagering or may be just a hint. I thinking my diacetyl rest was too short (2-3 days). What I did is to pull both of them out of the freezer and let them warm up to room temperature for couple days, I then krauzened both of them with fresh fermenting lager wort from other batch, closed them up and turned up side down couple times to re-suspend yeast at bottom of kegs (should be plenty since I secondary in kegs). I cannot comment on results just yet but can reply if this helped to eliminate diacetyl :mad:

I got 2 kegs with diacetyled lagers in them, I could not taste any of it before lagering or may be just a hint. I thinking my diacetyl rest was too short (2-3 days). What I did is to pull both of them out of the freezer and let them warm up to room temperature for couple days, I then krauzened both of them with fresh fermenting lager wort from other batch, closed them up and turned up side down couple times to re-suspend yeast at bottom of kegs (should be plenty since I secondary in kegs). I cannot comment on results just yet but can reply if this helped to eliminate diacetyl :mad:

I've read others that have done similar and say it helped. At this point I'm willing to try it, because I will have to throw it away (first time in ~20 batches) otherwise, it is that undrinkable!

Did you ever try this (raising temp)? I brewed an Oktoberfest - 50F wort temperature for 7 days, diacetyl rest at 65 for 3 days, then slowly cooled to 32F - been there about 3 weeks.

No hint of diacetyl during fermentation or during 65F rest. Now, tasted a sample after this 3 weeks of lagering, and it is disgusting - smells and tastes just like artificial butter!! I did bring the carboy back to 65F and don't know if I should add more yeast or what. The beer is very, very clear, so likely not much yeast still in suspension.

Just curious, what yeast did you use for this? I've got an Oktoberfest going right now...using WLP820

Back