Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That stuff was so weird. It was as if they didn't end up with enough honey sweetness, so they added a bunch of beeswax to the wort instead. Like drinking a candle. :drunk:

Like a candle you tried to put out with a boilermaker (cheap beer and cheaper whiskey), then put it all in a bottle and sold it to idiots like me.

I love Bells Brewery and a few years ago my brother brought me a sampler six pack from Kalamazoo for my birthday. There was this Java Stout in there that just tasted like cold carbonated black coffee. I wasn't a fan and I've had good coffee beers before. The Petosky brewery had a really tasty mocha stout my father in-law and I really enjoyed. I just couldn't taste any flavor other than black coffee in the Bells Java Stout.

two contenders-

worst "idea" is the bottle of blue moon horchata i have in my fridge waiting to prank someone. beer reps gave it out as promos when they did their initial marketing push. exactly what you'd think would happen when a big ol macro brewery tried to copy the latest craft /homebrew craze.

worst beer- in my opinion it has to be beck's dark. WTF. its like somebody worked so hard for so long to make a ****ty beer like beck's, and then some other a-hole comes along with a brilliant idea to make it "better".

i'm convinced they made "dark" by taking regular becks and adding the follwing items to the mash:
-old cardboard taken from the dumpster of the nearest chinese restaurant
-a bunch of dirty socks and underwear they found in the gutter near a homeless encampment
- spent grains initially given to a local farmer to feed his cows, which have been "reclaimed" by becks from the dried cow patties to be used again

oddly enough, my uncle loves it.

Hands-down, has to be Boddingtons Pub Ale. My brother and I tried a 4 pack a while back. 3.5 of the 4 got dumped on the ground.

WTF send it to me. Maybe it's not what you were expecting, but it's still a well-made ordinary bitter.

Maybe that was a REALLY bad 4 pack, but even if I still had it, I'd save you the shipping and just tell you to pick up a really rotten, slimy apple off the ground and start licking it. You'd have the same thing.

It wasn't a commercial. But I did buy it at the LCBO.

Iron Spike blonde. Tasted like Cool Ranch doritos. I love Ranch chips but not ranch beer.

I made the mistake of falling for a twelve pack of Alexander Keith's Hop Series sampler pack, which included 3 bottles of three different single-hop beers (Cascade, Galaxy and Hallertauer) plus three bottles of their "IPA". This is the one brewer in the entire world that can make Bud Light look good. It was a terrible, awful and downright criminal affront to call any of it "beer". And that fact that it cost me $25 CAD only added insult to series injury...

I have to agree. AK hop series turned me off of IPA'S for a while with how nasty they were.

I was reading the "worst commercial beer" posts for some amusement and ran across this one that was the exact same experience I had in college back in the 70s when I knew nothing about beer. What a laugh! I was on a seriously limited budget and bought a 12pk for $6 at the A&P. I was with a group of friends and was asked if I could spare one. Sure I said kind of smiling inside. The next thing I knew my bud was asking "What the hell is in this stuff???" My apologies to the talking steins as well but the stuff was pure awful. Happy ending, I learned about homebrewing and what real beer is.

bourbon-beer-dead-crow-33-cl.jpg

I'm pretty sure I know what killed the crow. Holy mother of all that is good and holy was this stuff awful.

And I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Swamp Ape IPA by Florida Beer Company. Possibly a more flavor appropriate name would be Swamp Ass IPA. This thing was truly nasty. And I don't recall the exact price but it was a damn expensive four pack.

Meh, too many people choosing boring light lagers. Those don't have enough flavor to be the worst. It's like calling Wonder Bread the worst bread, sure it sucks but it doesn't have enough flavor to be really offensive.

I'd far rather have some ****ty flavorless lager than Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat for example.

Not really commercial, but Left Hand's 400lb Monkey, which is supposed to be an english IPA is truly repulsive, and no where near similar to an english IPA.

Well when I think "commercial" I think anhueser-busch, coors brewing company, ect. Left Hand is supposedly a craft brew company.

This may be a matter of the style itself not being to my liking - the beer has gotten some decent if unspectacular reviews - but I had a "neapolitan" (chocolate, vanilla and strawberry) milk stout that I truly could not finish. Way too much sweetness, like black coffee that someone dumped a whole box of sweet-n-low into.

http://saugatuckbrewing.com/beer/neapolitan-milk-stout/

Well when I think "commercial" I think anhueser-busch, coors brewing company, ect. Left Hand is supposedly a craft brew company.
You're confusing "commercial" with "macro".

Commercial is anything that isn't a homebrew. If you can BUY it, it's commercial. Inside the "commercial" group, you can break it down to macro, micro, and craft (and probably a couple more I'm forgetting).

i cant remember the brand. but it was a michigan brewery. it was a dark beer that literally tasted like an ash tray. i took one sip, spit it out. and poured it down the drain

Industrial/macro is more like it.

Left Hand is definitely craft.

Edit: already covered by someone else.

Thanks for the explanations, I basically just didn't want to say,left hand and have people bitching that it wasn't a "commercial" brew. Looks like I got the bitching anyway. Lol, but good to know the definitions. I do appreciate it.

i cant remember the brand. but it was a michigan brewery. it was a dark beer that literally tasted like an ash tray. i took one sip, spit it out. and poured it down the drain

Dark horse maybe? I like most of their beer but there is some that are just awful.

You're confusing "commercial" with "macro".

Commercial is anything that isn't a homebrew. If you can BUY it, it's commercial. Inside the "commercial" group, you can break it down to macro, micro, and craft (and probably a couple more I'm forgetting).
Well now I've learned something that should have been obvious. D'oh!
I
It wasn't a commercial. But I did buy it at the LCBO.

Iron Spike blonde. Tasted like Cool Ranch doritos. I love Ranch chips but not ranch beer.
Here's the one

20151027_211001.jpg

Addendum - that coconut monstrosity that Oscar Blues recently put out. I don't like coconut anyway, but as I do with my friends that don't like a gose, a buddy made me try it.

At least the Moosehead (my initial choice in this thread), I drank. This coconut thing, I spit out.

Also, I just tried Red Hook's pumpkin porter. That was a no as well.

:(

Addendum - that coconut monstrosity that Oscar Blues recently put out. I don't like coconut anyway, but as I do with my friends that don't like a gose, a buddy made me try it.

At least the Moosehead (my initial choice in this thread), I drank. This coconut thing, I spit out.

Also, I just tried Red Hook's pumpkin porter. That was a no as well.

:(

Death By Coconut? Loved that beer!

Now this is a hard question to answer cause I have this weird thing for shi*ty malt liquor. Worse "beer" I've ever had was a Four Loko Gold. Like bubblegum that had been shat out a goats ass. Worst beer though is hard to say. I'll drink anything.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. Just tried it this week and couldn't finish it. This was my first smoked beer experience and I'm sure it's an excellent beer, but I don't like the sensation that I'm licking the inside wall of a smokehouse. Definitely the most expensive beer I've ever poured down the drain.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. Just tried it this week and couldn't finish it. This was my first smoked beer experience and I'm sure it's an excellent beer, but I don't like the sensation that I'm licking the inside wall of a smokehouse. Definitely the most expensive beer I've ever poured down the drain.

Rauchbier is a special kind of beer that is really dependent on the person's taste. I love them honestly (the smoked wheat is probably my favorite). The first time I had one it took me a few sips to get into it. Once it warms a little, it really works in my opinion.

Now, I have to point out that just because it wasn't a style you liked, that doesn't make it a bad commercial beer. It is still a well made beer, just not something you liked.

I had a beer recently from a small brewery in Houston that was absolutely terrible. It was oxidized and overly malty for a pale ale. I tried it again a week later and my suspicion of a bad keg was confirmed. It still wasn't a great beer, but it wasn't the terrible beer I had had earlier.

When I was in basic training in 1981, we were allowed to go to the bowling alley on one occasion. Of course, we all wanted beer. They had two choices: Blatz and Old Milwaukee. Either fit the subject here.

Rauchbier is a special kind of beer that is really dependent on the person's taste. I love them honestly (the smoked wheat is probably my favorite). The first time I had one it took me a few sips to get into it. Once it warms a little, it really works in my opinion.

Now, I have to point out that just because it wasn't a style you liked, that doesn't make it a bad commercial beer. It is still a well made beer, just not something you liked.

I had a beer recently from a small brewery in Houston that was absolutely terrible. It was oxidized and overly malty for a pale ale. I tried it again a week later and my suspicion of a bad keg was confirmed. It still wasn't a great beer, but it wasn't the terrible beer I had had earlier.

Oh I know. I picked it specifically because it's highly rated. I know it's excellent just not my cup of tea. I still rated it well on Untappd because it was perfect to style and well done. I'm honestly impressed with the smokiness in aroma and flavor they achieved.

I had a badly oxidized Nevada Celebration at a restaurant one time. Had I been more confident in my palate then, I would've notified the bartender the keg had turned.

Back