suggestions for my third brew appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatman

Reaction score
i'll be bottling my second brew (a PM wit) later today, and i'm trying to decide what recipe to do next. being new to this, i don't have enough knowledge to look at a recipe and know whether i'd like it, or even be able to accomplish it.

so i was wondering if any of you all might have some suggestions for me.

here's the criteria:

- i'd like to do a simple partial mash recipe with ingredients that can be easily sourced.

- for this batch i'd like to try an american ale, maybe amber, or a golden ale of some kind.

- not too hoppy.

so what do you all think would be a good beer for me to try?

thanks!

im brewing a midwest supplies autumn amber ale... I think it fits your criteria.. I too am a new brewer (this being my second batch) I followed the directions and it was pretty straight forward. My first batch was their 20 minute irish stout which was delicious! The amber ale is in my secondary, I auto siphoned it Friday night after a long night of drinking at a wedding :) (open bar)... 3 weeks I will be kegging it and I will let you know how it turns out! Cheers

If you look in the recipe database, you could do just about any of those recipes. Even the ones that are AG are easily converted to partial mash.

I really like amber ales, but I don't know of any "golden" ales. If you like Rogue's Dead Guy, my clone is pretty close and it's very easy and all the ingredients are readily available.

If you look in the recipe database, you could do just about any of those recipes. Even the ones that are AG are easily converted to partial mash.

i guess i just don't know enough yet to figure out how to convert AG recipes to partial mash...

If you like Rogue's Dead Guy, my clone is pretty close and it's very easy and all the ingredients are readily available.

cool. i'll check that out.

Here is Jamil's Amber in a PM. I've never brewed it. It's for six gallons.

Mash,
1 lb Munich
1 lb Victory
1 lb Crystal 40L
8 oz Crystal 120L
4 oz Pale Chocolate Malt 200L​

6 lb Pale LME added at 15 minutes

.5 oz Magnum 15AA 60 minutes
.5 Cascade 10 minutes
.5 Centennial 10 minutes
.5 Cascade 0 minutes
.5 Centennial 0 minutes​

US-05

It will probably be about 36 IBU with the late extract addition and a three gallon boil.

I really like EdWorts Haus ale, there is a PM version in the thread I do believe, simple and tasty, I tweaked the recipe a fair bit over time, but it is a great starting point for a pale ale.

i'll be bottling my second brew (a PM wit) later today, and i'm trying to decide what recipe to do next. being new to this, i don't have enough knowledge to look at a recipe and know whether i'd like it, or even be able to accomplish it.

so i was wondering if any of you all might have some suggestions for me.

here's the criteria:

- i'd like to do a simple partial mash recipe with ingredients that can be easily sourced.

- for this batch i'd like to try an american ale, maybe amber, or a golden ale of some kind.

- not too hoppy.

so what do you all think would be a good beer for me to try?

thanks!

I'll throw another idea out there: Yooper's California Common isn't exactly what you asked for, but it's delicious and is in about the sort of flavor profile you're looking for.

thanks for the suggestions, guys. i'll check those out.

that's is good to know. definitely expands my possibilities!

We can definitely help, but it's super easy to do yourself.

Short version: sub out 2-row (aka Pale malt, Marris Otter, Golden Promise) for light DME or pilsener malt for pilsen DME; for every pound of grain you take out, replace with .66 pounds of DME. Make sure that you leave at least as many pounds of 2-row or pilsener as there are pounds of other stuff in there.

So if the recipe started with 12 lbs of 2-row, 1 lb of Crystal 60, and 1 lb of Biscuit Malt, you have to leave at least 2 lbs of 2-row in (because you have 2 lbs of "other stuff": crystal 60 and biscuit) but you could replace the other 10 lbs with 6.6lbs of pale DME; that'd make the partial mash version a PM of 2 lbs 2-row, 1 lb crystal 60, and 1 lb biscuit, then add 6.6 lbs of pale DME at start of boil.

Long version:
1. List out the grain bill. Let's say it's:
All-Grain Irish Stout
6 lbs British Pale Malt
2 lbs flaked barley
14 oz roast barley
2 oz acidulated malt

2. Figure out the base malt--this will generally be "pale malt", "2-row", "pilsner malt", or some specific type of one of those (e.g. Marris Otter and Golden Promise are types of 2-row). You will be substituting out for that: light DME (or LME) for 2-row, extra-light or pilsen DME (or LME) for pilsener malt.

In this case, we have "British Pale Malt". That's what we're subbing out. We will replace it with light DME. Just because it's British, we'll use Munton's brand--that's not a huge deal, though.

3. Figure out how much base malt you're getting rid of. In general, you want at least half the mash to be base malt. There are a total of 3 lbs of non-base grains (2 lbs flaked barley + 14 oz roast barley + 2 oz acid malt). So we want to leave 3 lbs of pale malt in the mash--that means we can substitute out 3 lbs of the pale malt for DME.

4. Multiply the amount that you're substituting out by .66 to figure out how much DME to replace it with, or by .75 to figure out how much LME to replace it with:
3 lbs * .75 = 2 lbs 4 oz of LME; or
3 lbs * .66 = 2 lbs of DME

We'll use DME, since it's easier to measure out. So we're replacing 3 lbs of British Pale Malt with 2 lbs of light DME.

5. Write down the new recipe:

Partial Mash Irish Stout:
3 lbs British Pale Malt
2 lbs flaked barley
14 oz roast barley
2 oz acidulated malt

Extract to add at start of boil:
2 lbs light DME

Done!

wow, awesome! thanks for posting that.

We can definitely help, but it's super easy to do yourself.

Short version: sub out 2-row (aka Pale malt, Marris Otter, Golden Promise) for light DME or pilsener malt for pilsen DME; for every pound of grain you take out, replace with .66 pounds of DME. Make sure that you leave at least as many pounds of 2-row or pilsener as there are pounds of other stuff in there.

So if the recipe started with 12 lbs of 2-row, 1 lb of Crystal 60, and 1 lb of Biscuit Malt, you have to leave at least 2 lbs of 2-row in (because you have 2 lbs of "other stuff": crystal 60 and biscuit) but you could replace the other 10 lbs with 6.6lbs of pale DME; that'd make the partial mash version a PM of 2 lbs 2-row, 1 lb crystal 60, and 1 lb biscuit, then add 6.6 lbs of pale DME at start of boil.

Long version:
1. List out the grain bill. Let's say it's:
All-Grain Irish Stout
6 lbs British Pale Malt
2 lbs flaked barley
14 oz roast barley
2 oz acidulated malt

2. Figure out the base malt--this will generally be "pale malt", "2-row", "pilsner malt", or some specific type of one of those (e.g. Marris Otter and Golden Promise are types of 2-row). You will be substituting out for that: light DME (or LME) for 2-row, extra-light or pilsen DME (or LME) for pilsener malt.

In this case, we have "British Pale Malt". That's what we're subbing out. We will replace it with light DME. Just because it's British, we'll use Munton's brand--that's not a huge deal, though.

3. Figure out how much base malt you're getting rid of. In general, you want at least half the mash to be base malt. There are a total of 3 lbs of non-base grains (2 lbs flaked barley + 14 oz roast barley + 2 oz acid malt). So we want to leave 3 lbs of pale malt in the mash--that means we can substitute out 3 lbs of the pale malt for DME.

4. Multiply the amount that you're substituting out by .66 to figure out how much DME to replace it with, or by .75 to figure out how much LME to replace it with:
3 lbs * .75 = 2 lbs 4 oz of LME; or
3 lbs * .66 = 2 lbs of DME

We'll use DME, since it's easier to measure out. So we're replacing 3 lbs of British Pale Malt with 2 lbs of light DME.

5. Write down the new recipe:

Partial Mash Irish Stout:
3 lbs British Pale Malt
2 lbs flaked barley
14 oz roast barley
2 oz acidulated malt

Extract to add at start of boil:
2 lbs light DME

Done!

Well, darn! He told you all of our secrets for looking smart! Now you know how easy it is. :D

We'll still be glad to help of course, and feel free to post any questions or have us help convert the recipes you want.

If you don't want something "hoppy", I'd stay away from pale ales and go with a not-hoppy amber, or like I said before the Dead Guy clone. The Dead Guy is a malt bomb, but it seems like everybody likes it.

You could also try a cream ale, which is a pretty good basic lighter beer.

i definitely like ambers, so maybe i'll give your dead guy a try. i don't know if i've a cream ale before. are they generally sweet?

i definitely like ambers, so maybe i'll give your dead guy a try. i don't know if i've a cream ale before. are they generally sweet?

The Dead Guy is actually closer to a maibock, not an amber. Ambers tend to be hoppy, depending on the brewery. A cream ale isn't sweet. It's probably the closest beer to an American lager without being a lager. It's generally light colored, not hoppy, with low bitterness. Close to a blonde ale.

check out the BJCP style guidelines, http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php to see what commercial examples are available for each kind of beer. Also, when I say "hoppy", it may not be what you mean when you say "hoppy", so the style guidelines can help us communicate what exactly we're saying when we say "American Amber".

Back