Sanitizing Tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
Is it necessary to sanitize tap water to put in your wort? If so, do you just boil it? That's what I've been doing.

I think the general rule is that if you drink your water straight from the tap, it's probably safe to add to the wort. (Edit: assuming you've got a healthy batch of yeast and a quick, healthy fermentation). On the other hand, there have been recent posts about chloromines vs. chlorine in municipal water supplies you might want to read up on. Just do a search.

Boiling the water, or even taking it above 170 for 10-15 minutes would kill the bugs but it might not remove the chloromines.

DrewsBrews said:
Boiling the water, or even taking it above 170 for 10-15 minutes would kill the bugs but it might not remove the chloromines.

Correct. Boiling will not remove choloramine at all.

DrewsBrews said:
I had a feeling I was spelling that incorrectly. :eek:

You can get a water report from the city and mess with the results or just spend 4 dollars for purified water:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I use a PUR filter on my tap water...:D

Same here.

I used to use bottled water but realived I'd save the extra 7-8 bucks per batch as well as having to go out and get 7 gallons and lug it around and up 3 flights of stairs, when there is already lots to do on brewday.

I don't boil the top-off water, either.

Its my feeling that any water from the sink, either well or city, should be boiled to kill bacteria.

I boil my rinse water for sanitization... though getting some Star San next to try out.

Curious??? I have a fish pond in the backyard and during dry spells, I have to top off the water. I have "city" water and they do treat it with Chlorine or chloramine. When I add the water, I add a water conditioner that neutralizes chlorine and breaks the bond between chlorine & ammonia (chloramine). The ingredients in this stuff are:

Sodium Hydroxymethane Sulfinate, Polyvinyl Pyrollidones, Organic Hydrocolloids, Organic Chelating Compoinds.

Any chemical gurus out there know if this would have adverse effects on the beer and/or yeast? I don't know the concentrations of the ingredients, but it only calls for 5mL to every 10 gallons.

Back