Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrapulencePants

Reaction score
My second batch was an IPA that used pellet hops. I had read about filtering with the siphon so I tried it. Wrapped a bit of cheese cloth around the end in the carboy, but kept getting bubbles in the tube and the siphon would stop. What did I do wrong?

same thing happened to me. Not sure what to do about it. I just kegged/primed the beer afterwards and released some pressure as it built up hoping to get rid of the oxygen.

I ran into this problem too when I dry-hopped my India Brown Ale with pellets. There are 2 good solutions to this that I am going with the next time I do it.

1. Use Leaf hops.
2. Use a Hop bag.

Either way the siphon shouldn't get clogged. As for your beer, relax it will be fine. I had no noticeable oxidation flavors in my beer when I drank it.

For my beers that I want to be clear. I just cold crash for 2 days in the secondary and rack of there. The result was very clear beer with little to no yeast in the bottle.

Lost a gallon of beer on my first dry hop because of that.

My solution is to only use pellets for dry hopping, cold crash if possible, and tie a sanitized nylon hop bag over the end of the siphon tube that goes into the bottling bucket. Don't snug it right to the end of the hose, tie the end just over the hose so you have a big baggy hanging off the tube. I lightly cinch a 1/2" stainless hose clamp on the end to help with holding the hop bag on and weighing it down into the bucket. Leave the end of the siphon alone. The siphon will definitely clog less with careful racking and the bag will catch any straggling pieces that make it through.

Back