Group buy: grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelpeter

Reaction score
Edit: UPDATE!
Forrest has updated the AHS(Austin Homebrew Supply) website with both of the Barley Crusher mills (7lb and 15lb) and they are both at the lowest shipped prices available from anyone. Group purchase is off.

Link to the grain mills page.
Barley Crusher Maltmill (15 lb Hopper) $137.99
Barley Crusher Maltmill (7 lb Hopper) $113.99

Big thanks, again, to Forrest from AHS. Let's get us some mills.

As per the response heeded through the "Group buy" thread, it's now time to start gathering data and participants as to who would be interested and which mill we shall seek.

Forrest(AHS) graciously offered to get us a price on whichever mill we'd all be interested in. Our next step in this process is, obviously, to now decide on which mill we'd like.

So, fire away. Please only post your preference if you are interested in participating in this group buy(not to say that all opinions aren't welcomed).

Once we've come to a consensus, I'll work on getting us a price from Forrest.

Lets see some prices I am interested.....also Forrest, I am going to be ordering from you on Wed (Ohio 10% day), is there anyway we can get the mill shipped with that order? How would that work?

Subscribed to this thread.. as I am also in the market for a grain mill. I was originally planning on the Barley Crusher with the 15lb hopper.. but I am open to some other options!

Lets see some prices I am interested.....also Forrest, I am going to be ordering from you on Wed (Ohio 10% day), is there anyway we can get the mill shipped with that order? How would that work?

Prices on what?

This will not happen for another couple weeks so go ahead and order. People have to know what they want and enough people have to agree on a model for me to get a price.

Forrest Rogness
www.austinhomebrew.com

I'd be interested in a barley crusher mill with 15lb hopper as well .... of course the JSP mills are nice too --- I could go with either really - not sure which is the better mill? I'm all about spending an extra $20+ if the quality of the JSP is better.

Moving up to AG and need one, although LHBS has one for use when I buy grain from them.

Prices on what?

This will not happen for another couple weeks so go ahead and order. People have to know what they want and enough people have to agree on a model for me to get a price.

Forrest Rogness
www.austinhomebrew.com

Forrest, if you don't mind, could you give us a list of which mills you are willing to, or can, deal with. I think that'd help pare the options.

Depending on the price and SWMBO I could be up for one. Barley crusher works for me, but if others want something else I am rather neutral.

Forrest, if you don't mind, could you give us a list of which mills you are willing to, or can, deal with. I think that'd help pare the options.

I can get most anything but the Barley Crusher seems to be the favorite so far.

What is the best price you can find for the 15lb hopper Barley Mill?

Give me a price to beat.

Forrest

i too am in the market, i'll take any mill if the price is right

what about the crankandstein 2S whith base and hopper. you get bigger rollers and the hopper is about the same size (i think). i dont know if you could give as good of a deal with those but....they are nice. just an idea, im already in for the barley crusher

I've been wanting the monster mill2-2.0 it has 2" rollers to pull in the grain easier and it is not that much more expensive than the cheaper versions. I don't need a hopper/base etc. That one is $164 on the site so... better than that :)

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-220.html

I'd even be in for the Monster Mill2 (1.5" rollers) still a good mill and cheaper than the barley crusher (because you get to make your own hopper)
http://www.barleycrusher.com/ordering.php $138.00
vs.
http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html $104.00

All prices without shipping, I hope we'd be able to knock some off of any of those prices by doing the group buy

The Monster mill, and crankandstein are fine as well, but they don't come with the base an the hopper like the Barley crusher.

I see the point that it's not that hard to build these things, but in the long run it will take a some time and money to round up material and build a base and a hopper. And even if you can do it on the cheep, the time savings alone for me is worth the extra $40 for the barley crusher.

The Monster mill, and crankandstein are fine as well, but they don't come with the base an the hopper like the Barley crusher.

I see the point that it's not that hard to build these things, but in the long run it will take a some time and money to round up material and build a base and a hopper. And even if you can do it on the cheep, the time savings alone for me is worth the extra $40 for the barley crusher.

More time building the hopper, but you can build one that suits you better. My hopper is a 5 gallon bucket with a sliding hatch on the bottom, I put the bucket on the scale, zero out the scale and measure grain in to it, then I put the bucket on my mill and pull out the hatch and turn the mill on, Once I get the mill base set on the MLT I'll not be moving malt around much at all.

Edit:

But if the vote all goes to the BC with 15lb hopper don't let me hold ya'll back :)

My preferences are split between the Monster Mill and the BC as well. Depending on interest and price, I'll be satisfied with either. conpewter, do you know the prices you posted are likely to be the lowest available? I quickly searcher and didn't find anything lower.

My preferences are split between the Monster Mill and the BC as well. Depending on interest and price, I'll be satisfied with either. conpewter, do you know the prices you posted are likely to be the lowest available? I quickly searcher and didn't find anything lower.

The prices posted were from the BC and MM website so I doubt anybody will have a lower price than them, without bulk discounts of course.

Right, that's sort of what I assumed. Well, Forrest, I guess you can consider our lowest prices submitted. There is quite obviously a preference for 15lb BC, but if you wouldn't mind could we have a price on the MM-2 as well?

We need to bring it down two one or two specific models for him to give us a price. most group buys i've seen in automotive parts are one or two selections max. Only one manf if it is two models.

Personally, I'd like the BC with the 7# hopper, just because I'm trying to keep costs down right now. However, if the bulk buy were able to bring down the price for the 15# BC enough, I would probably go for it...

if you got the monster mm-2 mill you could easily build a hopper with one of these
http://www.mcmaster.com/#funnels/=3wmu9l
(hopper E- 384 oz. on page #1701)

if your crafty. this is a bigger hopper then the crank&stein comes with, same overall hopper too.

but Im still in for the 15lb crusher if thats what wins. i just need a mill.

They may not let me sell the mills at a lower price but I can always give a gift certificate to go with it.

Forrest

Me personally, I have zero need for a monster hopper to hold 15 pounds of grain. I would much rather have a reasonable size 7 lb hopper and fill it twice to grind for a batch. I don't understand everyone's need to go with the huge hopper. Is it really a problem to fill it twice?

If you are able to include the 7 lb hopper BC I would probably join in here otherwise I'll have to pass. I am looking to order within a week or two at the latest. The sooner the better.

Depending on the price I might be interested in the 7lb Barley Crusher. 15lb with the BC might be good too, if its cheap enough, but I would prefer not having to store the larger one, I would rather pour the grain twice.

edit: What that guy up top said :).

Back