honey amber ale questions / late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skatensx

Reaction score
i had a couple questions before i try this extract kit using late extract edition :

1) when i add the honey, do i need to take the pot off the heat and mix like when adding lme/dme?

2) do i need to change the amount of bittering hops with late extract edition or do i just throw them all in per the recipe? i remember reading something about 15-25% less bittering hops.

3) if i am doing late extract addition at flameout, do i keep the same hop addition schedule?

Well, lower boil gravity does increase the amount of bittering extracted; the exact percentage I do not know, but I would imagine that 15% - 25% sounds about right.

As to the honey, I'd add it at flameout. If you add it to the boil, you'll drive off all of the delicate aromatics, you almost might as well just add plain table sugar. I'd add it at the very end of the boil, it just needs a few minutes at high temp to sanitize. Turn off the flame, add the honey, wait a minute or so and start cooling; the wort will still be at temps high enough to sanitize for the ten minutes or so that you need to kill any buggers.

I don't know about the hops addition but I did almost the same brew and added the honey at flame out and its the best honey beer I have ever tasted. I'm a little partial though.

Back