Jamaican Stout w/ Cali Lager Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverbbqBrew

Reaction score
So I have a friend who wants me to make a Dragon Stout Clone.
I've never had it before but I'm intrigued by a stout brewed with the Cali Lager Yeast. I wonder if it's close to the Ethiopian Stouts I've had.

Dragon Stout is a sweet high alcohol stout brewed in Jamaica by the Red Stripe co. I found a recipe in the Clone Brews book by Tess and Mark Szamatulksi but I've found that their recipes aren't usually that accurate. Your thoughts?

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
61.2 9.75 lbs. Lager Malt(6-row) Canada 1.031 1
14.1 2.25 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
6.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.035 120
3.1 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
2.0 0.31 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
0.8 0.13 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
3.1 0.50 lbs. Brown Sugar (dark) Generic 1.046 60
9.4 1.50 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.35 oz. Magnum Pellet 10.00 14.0 60 min

Yeast
Wyeast Cali Lager

Here's a promash version that asserts a Munich Lager Yeast:
A ProMash Recipe - Dragon Stout

Have you looked at Jamil's Foreign Extra Stout recipe? I would use that one as a starting point. He suggests using Cali yeast with his Dry Stout. I would trust that recipe over this one.

yeah, take alook at that recipe. Also take a listen to the Jamil show podcast on the same style. In it he talks about stouts with lager yeasts at warmer temps

I brewed Jamil's FE stout about 6 weeks ago and it has been in bottles for a week and a half....I've never had a Dragon Stout, but I can tell you that his recipe will give you a strong, thick-ish, sweetish stout.....He offered two yeast types, one for a dry version and one for the 'tropical' version, which was actually an english type ale strain, and that's whatI went with. I recommend it, even though mine needs to age for a couple more months to really reach it's potential....

Thanks for the reccomendation. I made Jamil's Foreign Export Stout and it turned out wonderful - a far cry from so many stouts I've had yet wonderful. Outstanding.

That stout you listed is going to be way too thin for any respectable beer drinker to call a stout. But what do you expect if it's made by the maker's of red stripe. Would you give ABInBev, or SABMillerCoors a chance if they said they made a stout?

Back