After 10 weeks.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooBrew

Reaction score
After 10 weeks, a 2 gallon batch of mead is still blubbing in the airlock, reading 1.042. Is this normal? This is my first batch.

My 1.070 cider is still grumbling to itself after two weeks. I've been told that multi-week fermentation is normal in the stronger wines and meads and I don't have any off smells so I'm inclined to RNWHB. The other batch of cider ~1.050 was talking for ten solid days before it slowed so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

10 weeks is nothin especially with a gravity of 1.042. you will probably get down to 1.010-1.000 depending on yeast choice. Just let it chill and relax.

Recipe?
Nutrients?
OG?

Ya, mead takes one hell of a long time....especially when it's nutrient deficient. If it's still on the top 1/2 of the gravity drop, you could feed it.

I can get my 1.100 meads down to 1.000 in less than 2 weeks with the staggered yeast nutrient schedule...:)

+1 - Properly hydrated fresh yeast, staggered nutrient additions and proper aeration during the first 2-3 days is the key to a healthy and rapid fermentation. If all you're doing is mixing the ingredients and pitching the yeast, lengthy fermentations are likely and may lead to off flavors and the introduction of contamination.

Latest posts

Back