Is it infected (sorry again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayzala

Scotalian Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are multiple threads about infections but after a disastrous brew day i need to know, is my barley wine infected.

th_bwineedit10.jpg

And i now have the Windows Security Virus so I'm going to the laptop while i format my hard drive.

Let me know if you need better pictures or anything info about the brew.

Thanks in advance.

The "yeast rafts" are fine, but those white spots have me concerned. That doesn't look like krausen or krausen remnants, and I'd be concerned if it was my beer.

You can try campden, one crushed tablet per gallon dissolved in a sample of the beer, as it won't hurt. Try to top up the carboy, too, so that you don't have so much headspace. Do you have a smaller carboy? Maybe a three gallon and one gallon jug, and a growler? Headspace is fine short term, for for long-term, it allows bacteria and mold to grow.

this a 6.5 gallon carboy ( i generally use this for all my beers, but no beer this big) there is about 5.25 gallons in it now, should i rack with 5 Camden tablets into a 5 gallon carboy (racking from underneath)? and if so how long should i let it sit in the "secondary"
Again thanks for your help!!!

this a 6.5 gallon carboy ( i generally use this for all my beers, but no beer this big) there is about 5.25 gallons in it now, should i rack with 5 Camden tablets into a 5 gallon carboy (racking from underneath)? and if so how long should i let it sit in the "secondary"
Again thanks for your help!!!

Yes, I'd do that and let it sit long enough to be assured that the "growth" or whatever it is isn't going to come back.

Yes, I'd do that and let it sit long enough to be assured that the "growth" or whatever it is isn't going to come back.

If the growth came back (do you think) it would look the same, the soft white bubbles?

Next question. If it is mold do you think it's in the beer itself? is there anyway to get rig of that?

If the growth came back (do you think) it would look the same, the soft white bubbles?

Next question. If it is mold do you think it's in the beer itself? is there anyway to get rig of that?

The campden should kill any mold or wild yeast or bacteria IF it's not too bad yet.

I currently have bubbles like that in my fermenter. From my expierence there is nothing wrong with it. No infection. To me it looks like when the high krasaun falls and looks like a light carbination begins. My brew at home just went though this phase. It's still ok I dont see an infection. Im sure all infections have an off odor to them. I never had an infection "knock on wood". To me your brew looks fine.

I currently have bubbles like that in my fermenter. From my expierence there is nothing wrong with it. No infection. To me it looks like when the high krasaun falls and looks like a light carbination begins. My brew at home just went though this phase. It's still ok I dont see an infection. Im sure all infections have an off odor to them. I never had an infection "knock on wood". To me your brew looks fine.

Yeah, I agree that the bubbles are innocuous. But the white spots of mold-like debris have me concerned. If it's just a bad picture, and those white spots aren't really there, I wouldn't be concerned.

the pictures are a little misleading, the bubbles do not have little white spots in them, they are a uniform white/gray. I have decided to rack from underneath and bottle. Wish me luck, in 3 months i may be writing from the hospital!;)

the pictures are a little misleading, the bubbles do not have little white spots in them, they are a uniform white/gray. I have decided to rack from underneath and bottle. Wish me luck, in 3 months i may be writing from the hospital!;)

So are you in hospital?

So are you in hospital?

I bottled it last night. My process left about a gallon in the carboy so i would avoid the trub and the "stuff" floating on top. The gravity was stable at .022 but tasted kinda harsh. I'm guessing there were a lot of esters that should mellow over the next 3 months. Since I drank the whole testing vial and I feel fine this morning I'm guessing the beer will be fine. I'll post back when I crack the first one.

Thanks everyone for your valued input.

Back