Cyser Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabic

Reaction score
About a month ago I 'brewed' a cyser (sort of) and I have a few questions/concerns, if anyone could help.

Here is the recipe:

Mixed 2 gal apple cider + 34 oz Quince Juice + 34 oz Pomegranate Juice + 40 oz Wildflower Honey + 8 oz molasses and brought to 165dF and held for 45 mins.

Pitched Lalvin K1-V1116 from a starter.

OG: 1.090.

At this point, I've racked it a couple of times and the last gravity reading I took, maybe 10 days ago, was 1.011. The cyser is not really clear, and lees are still dropping, albeit slowly. Also, visibly the airlock has stopped chugging away, though I haven't checked the gravity recently to confirm whether or not it has reached terminal gravity.

Anyway, I already feel like I've messed the thing up since I heated it to pasteurize - more and more I read that doing this has negative flavor effects. I was considering bottling this soon because I don't want to invest long periods of time aging something that was made with an inferior process: i.e.: the heating + I've heard that the yeast I used was a pretty poor cyser/mead yeast.

So I'm curious what would be the effect of bottling it now? It is cloudy and still dropping some lees, but I'd rather start a new batch to age that would not be heated and use a better yeast.

Thanks.

You need to leave it alone. Only a month old and you've racked twice? Should have let it go a month or two before racking the 1st time. Let it sit for a while and let the yeast do it's thing. With an OG that high, this could take months. You will also have to age it 3-6 months. Be patient. Go get another carboy/pail if you want to do another batch...

Agreed, just leave it be. This isn't beer...just keep it in a dark place and don't disturb it for a couple months. no...don't open it, taste it, rack it, nothing. Let it set. in 2 months take a hydrometer reading and see where you are at then. Pasturizing it won't have hurt anything, except maybe some of the lighter nuances and aromas your honey may have had in it.

Good luck
Dan

...don't open it, taste it, rack it, nothing.

And for future reference, START with this theory. It's not beer or wine, and it needs some time to do what it does! I don't EVER rack a mead for at least a month...and usually more like 2 or 3.

I don't think you've killed it...I think you might if you try and heat pasteurize it. I am absolutely opposed to heating anything with honey in it.

Give this a lot of time...you are at least 6 or 8 months out on this project, but do post updates for us to follow along with.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still not sure whether or not I'll keep this batch or if I'll make one that is not heat pasteurized. Anyway, we'll see.

don't kill it just because it slow for you...just put it up on a dark closet shelf and forget about it for another couple months..then check it and take a reading at that point. I think you'll find it's doing just fine all on it's own.

In the mean time order up a 4 pack of 1 gallon glass carboys and some airlocks and make up a batch of quick mead which you can enjoy in just a few weeks and then make up a couple other recipes that wet your whistle and have fun doing it.

Good luck and keep us posted
Dan

OK, you don't need to heat it, but for gods sake do not throw it out. Just put it in a closet and forget about it for 3 months. Then check it.

Check check, guys. The cyser has been moved to a quieter location and I'm going to try to visit my LHBS today to get some yeast for the next cyser. Thanks for the support!

I made a dozen tastey meads, boiling the honey for 15 minutes first.

Now I don't boil. The mead does have more honey flavor and especially aroma...but the other meads weren't "bad" or inferior. They were better than the commercial meads I've found around here (e.g. Chaucer's)

Chaucer's is hard not to beat, seriously how can a commercial brand not be able to do better than anyone trying at home can?

Chaucer's is hard not to beat, seriously how can a commercial brand not be able to do better than anyone trying at home can?

I have only tried Chauncer's once and I thought it was alright. It was a little hot. I would think if it was aged for a while it would be pretty good.

I had it twice, personally I tasted an almost medicinal flavor. Very unappealing in my opinion. Sorry for the hijack OP

Latest posts

Back