LD Carlson Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmarvel

Reaction score
So I bought some oak chips to "oak" my ESB. Well the label says "soak in water 12 hours before adding to wine. sufficient for 25 gallons".
2 questions here.

1. Do i need to presoak for use w/ beer (i dont think i do, but just checking).

2. How much of this bag should i use for a 5 gallon batch of beer? For the record, I am a math teacher and simple mathematics tells me to use about 1/5 of the bag, but I guess I'm checking to see if that 25 gallon thing is strictly for wine, or would beer use the same amount?
Thanks in advance.
Justin

How much you use depends on how much oak flavor you want. You can also control that by amount of time spend on the oak.

I'm not sure what the purpose of soaking in water is, unless it's boiling water. I'd worry about sanitizing the chips, and I think for that you can either boil them or soak them in some alcohol for a little while.

Dunno, though, maybe those chips are gah-ran-teed to be clean.

So I bought some oak chips to "oak" my ESB. Well the label says "soak in water 12 hours before adding to wine. sufficient for 25 gallons".
2 questions here.

1. Do i need to presoak for use w/ beer (i dont think i do, but just checking).

2. How much of this bag should i use for a 5 gallon batch of beer? For the record, I am a math teacher and simple mathematics tells me to use about 1/5 of the bag, but I guess I'm checking to see if that 25 gallon thing is strictly for wine, or would beer use the same amount?
Thanks in advance.
Justin

Strange, I bought some today, and I was wondering the same thing!

I used about 2oz of chips for my stout and it was good but strong. I have heard that if you use less and soak longer, vs. more chips/less time, you will get a more complex flavor. I soaked mine for about 2 weeks and just had to pull a sample to see if it was right. I also soaked mine in bourbon for a day so they were clean.

Back