bottling yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radler

Reaction score
I posted a short while ago asking about a beer that came out much stronger than anticipated and it's lack of activity in the secondary. Some people responded that I should give a dose of yeast at bottling because due to high abv. my yeast are pretty much done. My question is how is that done? Wouldn't more yeast not produce exploding bottles? How much should I add given that the batch is now under 2.5 gallons? Do I make a starter? Some told me that I would not need yeast, I will decide which I will do when I hear anybody's instructions oh HOW it would be done. Thanks folks.
Rad

I wouldn't worry about bottle bombs from too much yeast, becuase the factor that determines the amount of carbonation produced is how much fermentables you have left when the beer goes into the bottles. As far as how to pitch the yeast a starter would seem like a good idea since the ABV is already high it may be a difficult environment for the yeast to get a foot hold. but I have no experience pitching this late in the process so I will defer to anyone else's suggestions...

Back