First batch notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croy9000

Reaction score
I started my first batch of beer earlier this week and figured I would join the community here and document my experience. Both what I did and what I felt I did wrong and can improve. After following the recipe instructions to a tee and getting the wort into the fermenting bucket, I began reading up and realize the recipe instructions skipped over many techniques I wish I had used.

I bought a 'deluxe' brewing kit from my LBHS that included a secondary carboy. It also include your choice of one ingredient kit, of which I chose a Brown Ale. I also bought 3 cases of Grolsch type bottles.

Recipe - Brown Ale / BG: 1.044 / FG: 1.011

Tues April 29

Started process. I decided to cut the ingredients in half for a final quantity of 2.5 gallons. I was really nervous about having 5 gallons of nasty beer for my first attempt. Although in hind site this was a pita. I should have just stuck with 5.

Couple of things I wish I did:

* The instructions said nothing about 'quickly' cooling the wort to <80 after the boil. Although after 20min cooling I did read about this, and got the pot into ice. Definitely need to be prepared next time. I may look into a chiller, or just have the ice ready.

* I probably should have aerated the wort better than I did. The instructions in the recipe said to just just aggressively stir the wort and cool water mixture to form a good layer of bubbles on top. After reading I can see the importance of lots of oxygen for the yeast. Next time I will shake the fermenter vigorously.

* I should have boiled the cold water I put into the fermenter (that the wort was added to). I'm now nervous about contamination. Does everyone else do this?

Gravity: 1.043 / Air Temperature 73f

Fri May 2

Down to about 1 bubble every 2 min. Couple of nights ago it was 1 bubble every 4 seconds.

Sat May 3

Today I transfered to the secondary. I had planned to leave it in the primary for at least 7 days. But after more reading I learned of the importance of keeping oxygen away from the beer. With a 5 gallon carboy the beer goes all the way up to the neck, minimizing the headspace. But because I only did 2.5 gallons I thought it might be a good to transfer while there was still some fermentation still going on so it would push the oxygen from the carboy. Not sure if that was the right choice though. Although, my gravity reading was 1.018, and my target is 1.011. So maybe it was the right choice?

Gravity: 1.018 / Air Temperature 75f

Doesn't sound too bad for a first attempt. You are right that doing a 2.5 gal batch can be a PITA and you run out of beer too quick.
It is usually safe to add your top up water without boiling, especially if it is bottled water or city water. With well water there could be some contamination but still unlikely. In addition your top up water will have a good bit of O2 dissolved in it and if you stick it in the fridge before had it can help with cooling the wort to pitching temps.
Given your situation of 2.5gal in a bucket fermenter I would have just left it in the primary for 3 weeks then transferred it to the bottling bucket and bottled. A secondary is not necessary for most beers. Transferring before its finished is a good way to ensure there is no oxygen problem but you will have more trub in your secondary which somewhat negates the reason for the secondary.
Either way it is not a problem and I imagine the beer turned out good.

Craig

1. I started my first batch of beer earlier this week and figured I would join the community here and document my experience. Both what I did and what I felt I did wrong and can improve. After following the recipe instructions to a tee and getting the wort into the fermenting bucket, I began reading up and realize the recipe instructions skipped over many techniques I wish I had used.

2. I bought a 'deluxe' brewing kit from my LBHS that included a secondary carboy. It also include your choice of one ingredient kit, of which I chose a Brown Ale. I also bought 3 cases of Grolsch type bottles.

Recipe - Brown Ale / BG: 1.044 / FG: 1.011

Tues April 29

3. Started process. I decided to cut the ingredients in half for a final quantity of 2.5 gallons. I was really nervous about having 5 gallons of nasty beer for my first attempt. Although in hind site this was a pita. I should have just stuck with 5.

Couple of things I wish I did:

4. * The instructions said nothing about 'quickly' cooling the wort to <80 after the boil. Although after 20min cooling I did read about this, and got the pot into ice. Definitely need to be prepared next time. I may look into a chiller, or just have the ice ready.

5. * I probably should have aerated the wort better than I did. The instructions in the recipe said to just just aggressively stir the wort and cool water mixture to form a good layer of bubbles on top. After reading I can see the importance of lots of oxygen for the yeast. Next time I will shake the fermenter vigorously.

6. * I should have boiled the cold water I put into the fermenter (that the wort was added to). I'm now nervous about contamination. Does everyone else do this?

Gravity: 1.043 / Air Temperature 73f

Fri May 2

Down to about 1 bubble every 2 min. Couple of nights ago it was 1 bubble every 4 seconds.

Sat May 3

7. Today I transfered to the secondary. I had planned to leave it in the primary for at least 7 days. But after more reading I learned of the importance of keeping oxygen away from the beer. With a 5 gallon carboy the beer goes all the way up to the neck, minimizing the headspace. But because I only did 2.5 gallons I thought it might be a good to transfer while there was still some fermentation still going on so it would push the oxygen from the carboy. Not sure if that was the right choice though. Although, my gravity reading was 1.018, and my target is 1.011. So maybe it was the right choice?

Gravity: 1.018 / Air Temperature 75f

I've numbered the things I will respond to in your post. Go me.

1. Congrats! You will be addicted in no time. The directions you have will do just fine and really, I am sure even the steps they missed make less of a difference than you think when you're just starting out. We've all made big mistakes and had perfectly drinkable beer.

2. Deluxe kits are a good start. I think that's what I got when I started, but I went for a carboy instead of a bucket. From now on, start looking at your local craigslist. Lots to be found for sure. And I am jealous of your grolsch bottles. They're very useful.

3. You should have done all 5 gallons. Now you have to go get ingredients to make a 5 gallon batch and that first one will be gone way quicker than you imagine. You will share them with everyone.

4. If you get hooked, get a chiller. They're probably the most worthwhile piece of equipment you can get.

5. Aeration is important, but your beer will still be ok. I never aerate very well or pitch enough yeast and I still win medals at comps. Of course, now that I have started winning I am doing more to make it even better, so I have a stir plate now to make starters with. :) But really, it'll be fine.

6. I never boiled water when I did partial boils. I just dumped filtered water into there. Some people will take that extra caution, but I never had a problem. I jumped into all grain really fast though.

7. You should have left it in primary. When your beer is still gassing off like that and you're still seeing action, a good layer of CO2 is hanging out above your beer. Plus, if there are bubbles coming out of your airlock, your vessel is likely sealed. Nothing will really get in there. Leave it longer next time. It needs to finish fermenting and then it will clean up what its done and your beer will taste better. Hopefully it was done enough, but the reason you need it on the yeast for that long is so it can perform all the jobs it needs to do. I always leave mine in primary for 14 days and then straight into a keg. Unless it is something bigger or funky. Then it needs more time.

So all in all, I'd say you did fine. We all worry way too much about our first few beers and you'll be back soon asking about the infection you think you picked up and we'll all tell you to calm RDWHAHB and then you will still freak out until you realize that's just how it looks and you'll get to the point where everything just feels right.

And then you will find something new to obsess about and you'll go all grain and then... yeah, it never stops.

Back