Wyeast Ringwood Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Have anyone tried this strain before?

I had done a Blue Mountain Lager using Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager kit and lager malt extract but I used the Wyeast Ringwood Ale Yeast instead of the yeast provided. However, just over a day, my airlock stopped bubbling and the krausen disappears. Is it normal for this yeast to work so fast?

Thanks.

1187 IS a very fast yeast strain. It is used in a LOT of brewpubs for just this reason. It can ferment a low to medium gravity beer to completion in two to three days.

Check your specific gravity. If it is the same two days in a row, your beer is done. Rack it into secondary to get it off the yeast and the beer should clear up in another 3-4 days with just finings.

The yeast is considered a life saver in high volume brewpubs where you need to go from grain to glass in 7 days. It is a very good floc'er. It will drop bright without the need to filter. Again, with low to medium gravity beers, the finished product, in 7 days, will NOT taste "green".

It has been about 6 days already and the funny thing is that when I sniff the airlock (yayaya) I can smell the sweetness of the brew instead of alcohol! I think I better take a gravity reading.

I've used it in an IPA of mine and really like it. Has some nice esters that compliment the hops.

Hi jdoiv,

May I know how long did you leave the wort in the fermenter? My LHBS told me to get the beer into the bottles as soon as the gravity reading remains the same. If not, he fears that there will be carbonation problems because the yeast is very flucculant.

Thanks

Jamo99 said:
I wouldn't worry about your yeast hiding out that quickly. You've got a bit more time than your LHBS worker thinks.

My LHBS person gives the same advice--I heard her telling someone the other day that they shouldn't use a secondary or if they do only do it for 1 week or else the beer wouldn't carb up :rolleyes:

I've cold crashed the Ringwood for over a week (3 weeks total in secondary) and the bottles still carbed up fine.

Thanks guys. I feel much better now knowing that at least it should be able to carbonate properly.

Back