In danger of Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy3984

Reaction score
So, I just bottle a stout that has been fermenting in primary just under 2 weeks.
When bottling the beer seemed pretty carbonated already.
Very Strange. I'm wondering if I have bottle bombs on my hands.

Crucial Info:
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.024 (Remained so for 4 days)
Style: Stout
Ingredients:
3.75 lbs Coopers Stout (LME)
3 lbs Laaglander Plain Dark (DME)
1 pkg Coopers Dried Yeast

(I understand Laaglander has a high amount of unfermentable sugars)

I don't think that beer was ready to bottle. It's stuck at 1.024. That's only 50% attenuation.

Some people report Laaglander isn't as fermentable as it should be...but dang...I'm not sure that's the only thing going on here.

For the record the only set of bottle bombs I had was a stout, using Coopers stout, and some LME (dunno the brand).

You'll know for sure in a month...4-6 weeks is when they'll probably start popping, if they're gonna pop.
That's gonna be a sweet flavored, low alcohol stout if they don't pop.

You can start testing bottles after 2 weeks. Chill one for 24 hours, then open it. if it isn't super carbonated, you might be ok. test another at week 3, week 4. if they aren't gushers at that point, you probably just had low fermentables from the laaglander.

Yeah. I tasted the hydrometer sample. Tasted sweet. But have never used Laaglander before, so I don't know what to expect.
I will just test them as you have suggested.
Thanks for your help.

Low attenuation but somewhat expected based on reports of Laaglander. You should be OK.
If you are concerned store them in a garbage bag and start testing one bottle every 3-4 days after a week. If the carbonation is normal or low then you probably have no problem. But keep an eye on them for the first 4-6 weeks.
I guessing you will have a very sweet full bodied stout. Probably very enjoyable but you won't be pounding a bunch.
Craig

Day 7 Update:

Chilled stout...
And with much anticipation, popped the top.
There was a very faint hiss, the pour revealed a very slight head.
(No spewing)
Actually, tasted very good.
I know I may not be in the clear, but it appears that the beer is running it's natural course.
Fingers crossed.

Judd said:
Just out of curiosity, did you monitor or record your fermentation temps?

Not real closely. But I started fermentation at around 72 F , there was a temp dip due to a severe cold front about 3 day into ferment. (down to about 68-69) F. Then resumed 72-73 F a day later for the remainder.

Do you think that the change in temp or pressure has anything to do with the beer's strange behavior.

yeah, it is kind of looking like this brew just suffered from the DME being less fermentable than it should've been.

Latest posts

Back