conical fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trtlrvr

Reaction score
Has anyone used the plastic conical fermenters. Im a die hard stainless person but my buddy has 2 of these plastic ones he has been using for the last 2 years and has not had any problems yet. Half the price of S.S. sound pretty good. I could buy 2 for the price of 1.

You could get more than 2 for 1 my 16 gal. cost $100 plus $20 shipping. The stainless 7 gal. is somewhere around $595.

I have the 15 gallon mini-brew and love it. I haven't had a single problem with it yet. You do have to be careful cleaning and assembling/disassembling it. But it makes racking, dry hopping, and taking samples very easy.

Brewing Clamper said:
Come on folks, I want to see these in action... pics! pics!

This a picture from this summer. Sorry about the size, I took it with the cell phone.

8384-P1000228128x160.jpg

trtlrvr said:
Has anyone used the plastic conical fermenters. Im a die hard stainless person but my buddy has 2 of these plastic ones he has been using for the last 2 years and has not had any problems yet. Half the price of S.S. sound pretty good. I could buy 2 for the price of 1.

We were just discussing the same thing here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46029

In short, I have a 6.5 Minibrew and love it.

If you're really adventurous, and really are a die-hard S/S fan, check out Yuri_Rage's signature for a link to making your own S/S conical. (You can also find the page in the DIY sub-forum).

As for ?'s regarding the 15 gallon, look at http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=2800 - people link this store frequently, they seem to be cool. Some of them are actually manufactured here in town.

chriso said:
As for ?'s regarding the 15 gallon, look at http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=2800 - people link this store frequently, they seem to be cool. Some of them are actually manufactured here in town.

I just went there, and HOLY CRAP! That place just fueled my desire to go big with all grain, not to mention the possibilities of doing some grey-market sales ;) But seriously, I could make everything on a conical fermentor except the tank itself, and now I have a source for that! Thanks so much for this link, my creative juices are flowing, and I'm reaching for my toolbox :)

PS: what do you guys think of using one of those plastic tanks as a mash tun? Do you think it would hold the temp, or would it need to be insulated? I just thought that a conical mash tun with a false bottom would be interesting to use. Or I could be a little drunk on the Midas Touch and the Great Divide Fresh Hop Ale. I love my liquor store!

mike

AlaskaBrewing

Hey off topic- however Im in Anchorage!

Id like to get into the Conicals as well but have a ways to go before I truly need one

Not sure. They are semi-opaque... that is to say, you can see the level of the liquid, and approximate the color of it, but it's not clear like a carboy, by any means.

I keep mine in a basement room. No sunlight, but a small CFL that is on 24/7. I've noticed no effect.

Back