Midwest Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleJ

Reaction score
Has anyone used the kits/ingredients from Midwest Supply?
If so, how are they?

I'm excited to brew a new batch (though I'll have to wait)...as the first brew was moved to secondary the other day and am planning to bottle on Thanksgiving day.

I've used them - their kits are nice. The directions are good and the recipe is included.

Midwest is excellent, never mail ordered from them I live real close to their warehouse but I have done two kits: Brown Ale and Porter, and all you gotta do is follow their 1 page back to back recipe/instruction sheet, its great.

Theyve got a top notch crew working there as well, if that helps!

When I first started - little over a year ago - I used only these kits for a couple batches. Follow the instructions and you will make good beer...

Kits are fine...I can't say I like their dry yeast choices with the kits and a few of their yeast choices for some kits wouldn't be my first choice.

They have the best equipment kits and options, lots of extras too.. Other than this thread, haven't heard much about their ingredients.

They do a lot of things though, they aren't just a brewery supply.

I've ordered dozens of kits from them and been happy with the service and the kits. One thing I'm not too happy about with their kits is that they come with Munton's dry yeast. I haven't had luck with Muntons fermenting out completely. I like using dry yeast but have had much better luck with Nottingham and Fermientis brands. You have the option at Midwest to upgrade to liquid but I usually just grab a handful of dry from my LHBS.

I've ordered many kits and supplies from Midwest, I have always been happy with their service. Their kits have good directions, you will make good beer. The Muntons dry yeast IMHO require that at the very least you rehydrate it for good results.

As I noted above, I have used their kits in the past - however I'll echo what these guys said. Try to find a better yeast option...

Safale dry yeasts, Nottingham/Windsor, or upgrade to the liquid option (although then we would suggest a starter)... Any or all of those will be better than the Muntons or Coopers dry IMO...

Of the 300 plus gallons brewed this year (allegedly :D), 90% of my supplies and ingredients have come from Midwest.

I brewed a few of their all-grain kits early on and they were great.

They love homebrewing...

In my limited research it seems that Midwest tends to be cheaper on the equipment and gizmo supplies.

But the kits and ingredients pretty even across the major 'Net firms (Midwest, Austin, Northern). Just seems to depends on the variation you want.

Good to know about the yeast situation.

I plan to start doing starters anyway.

Is it better to get a 1L or a 2L flask?

Back