First Crush with Monster Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, don't think you'll be able to switch over older units.

Not exactly on the current topic, but do you guys change the gap for when you crush wheat versus barley? Wheat being smaller and harder than barley...

There is actually another recent thread (I think MNDan) that pertained to this and there was mention of an email from Fred (owner of Monster Mill) that discussed upgrades for current mill owners at cost.
When the parts are available, current owners can ship the end plates back and Fred will make the upgrades OR current owners can get the upgraded pieces and make the modification themselves (involves drilling a hole or two).

I am wondering if this is an upgrade for ALL Monster Mills or just the 2.0 models.

I have the MM2 and quite frankly after replacing the thumb screws with hardened steel hex screws, I have absolutely NO problems with my gap opening up.

Not exactly on the current topic, but do you guys change the gap for when you crush wheat versus barley? Wheat being smaller and harder than barley...

I crush everything at .03. I set my mill once when I set it up and periodically check it to see if it's moved (never has). I also co-mingle my grains when crushing. I don't make a lot of wheat beers but do use rye quite a bit, which like wheat is harder and smaller.

I don't change the gap for wheat, but I do run wheat through twice. I make a fair amount of wheat beers and find it easier just to mill it twice vs change the gap.

I am wondering if this is an upgrade for ALL Monster Mills or just the 2.0 models.

I have the MM2 and quite frankly after replacing the thumb screws with hardened steel hex screws, I have absolutely NO problems with my gap opening up.

According to Fred, just the 2.0 models, as they have been seeing the most problems with the 2 inch rollers. You got any pics of what you used to replace the thumbscrews? I pulled the trigger yesterday on the MM2 after exchanging several emails with Fred and while I thought about the 2.0, he told me it was pretty much serious overkill "unless you were running a brewshop or small micro". I like bling and all, but figure I can use the money saved for some bulk grain (and if I decide I HAVE to move up somewhere down the line, I'm sure I won't have much trouble getting rid of this one).

Back