Mystery Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
I just recently picked some mystery hops growing in the back yard of my new place (pretty damn awesome).

They smell like citrus heavy on the lemon, but the aroma is not overwhelming.

I want to make a simple pale with only these hops to find out what kind of characteristics they lend for bittering, flavor, and aroma.

I will be making a 5 gallon all gain batch and wanted to know if anyone has a really simple grain bill that will really let these hops shine.

Thanks!

Check out EdWorts haus pale recipe. That's pretty basic and makes a good beer. Sun the cascades for yours. Btw, how much did you get and did you dry them?

squeekybobo said:
Check out EdWorts haus pale recipe. That's pretty basic and makes a good beer. Sun the cascades for yours. Btw, how much did you get and did you dry them?

Sub, not sun. Damn autocorrect

we did dry them, just on an old screen with a fan, but I am not sure how much, we have 4 stuffed gallon bags in the freezer with all the air sucked out. I need to grab my buddys scale before we brew to make sure im not adding to much/ to little.

SOO, I think im going to do an all grain Marris Otter with just these hops. I like the SMASH idea. Any suggestions on yeast? I do not want it to too sweet, and I am sick of us-05 as I have used it for most of my recent batches.

Any suggestions!?

A British strain might be perfect with the British MO malt. S-04 sounds perfect, or maybe WL1007, but you wanna stick with a clean ale yeast and ferment low to really let the hops shine.... US-05 can't really be beat for that....

Latest posts

Back