What is used for fermenting 10 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidr7283

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading my equipment to brew 10 gallon batches. Right now I use 6 gallon carboys for fermenting. What do you use for 10 gallon batches? Do you split it into 2 - 6 gallon fermenters?

Split it, unless you're fortunate enough to have a larger conical fermenter. Some others have made fermenters out of both larger stainless steel vessels or plastic. Usually those are the ones going in the 20-50 gallon range though.

I you like glass go to a 15gal demijohn I have two and they work great I believe Midwest brewing has them on there website or ask your local HBS

I have split mine in the past, but just acquired a sanke keg that I'll be fermenting in from now on. Get to test it out next week.

If you are planning on putting more than 5 gallons somewhere for fermentation, I recommend having at the proper height to transfer to your kegs or bottling bucket without moving it full.
1. Its heavy
2. You don't want to stir up the dregs that have settled out.

worstbrewing said:
Check your LHBS for something like this: http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=23849&catid=459
"Delex 15 Gallon Closed Top Container"

I picked one up from mine for $10, they use them for bulk malt extract and throw them out otherwise but it holds 15 gallons which is perfect for 10 gallon batches

Got mine free from LHBS. I buy a good bit there, and the owner told me just to ask when I want more. May get a few to experiment on: cut off top & try bucket lid, drill hole in base & add trub dump valve, insert funnel in base & caulk edges to funnel yeast for harvest, etc. One of my goals for this year :)

This is what I use. I have 2 -15 gal large plastic containers that I converted into large fermenters. I try not to go over 10 gal much due to their weight and size for mobility. They were $10 a piece and are food grade and were used by my LHBS for liquid extract delivery and storage. In the pic below there is a 5 gal and 6 gal carboy on either side. And don't ask how I got the spigot on there. It was interesting.

34gmx3n.jpg

I use the 50lb vittles vault linked above. Just drill a hole in the lid for an airlock and you're set. It's short enough to fit in my fermentation freezer without needing a collar.

Gravity sucks, man!

I use 2 6 gal better-bottles with fermcap.

Much easier to move around, and I can use different yeasts!

I agree with this or similar. I like to use 2 ale pales, and then I can pitch a different yeast in each one if I like, and really get two very different beers with just one brewing process.

For years I open fermented 11 gals in a sanke with the top cut off. It was also my HLT. I needed help moving it. Then I bought a 7.5 gal stainless conical. It makes life so much easier I switched to 5 gal batches. BUT now that my family has had my beer for Christmas I got a second stainless conical. The gift that keeps on giving. Back to 10 gallon batches. It takes the same amount of time to clean up after brewing 5 gallons as it does 11. My original one has a chcocolate stout in it right now. Brewing 10 gallons Fat Tire Clone on the first of the year.

01615.JPG
[/IMG]

Do you think a 13 gallon fermenter would do the trick for the 10 gallon batch?

Latest posts

Back