Quick Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
I know these sorts of threads pop up often, but I've read a lot of them and I'm still unsure.

I have a PB stout sitting in my secondary. It was brewed with PB2 powder, lactose, and racked over some extracts in the secondary. It sat in the primary for 7 days. I used Wyeast Irish Ale yeast with which I made a starter using MALTA. The starter seemed to go off without a hitch but now my fermentation seems stalled. It has been at 1.030 for about 4 days. I've already read about the curse of 1.030 and I'm not sure that's what's going on but I need some advice.

It was an extract brew and only 2.5ga. My question is, should I do a small repitch? Or do I let it sit? I took a sip of my hydro sample today and it was still pretty apple-y. This beer is sort of on a tight schedule, so patience isn't a great option. However, id rather wait than ruin the brew by repitching or something.

Any ideas?

What as the recipe and amounts? Depending on the amount of lactose and PB2 it may end with a high FG

What as the recipe and amounts? Depending on the amount of lactose and PB2 it may end with a high FG

Yeah. I figured that, but it still tastes, not only green, but like a sour green apple, which is a sign of unfermented sugars.

The lactose amounts and PB2 amounts were 1/2lb and 2 6.5oz jars respectively.

But again, its only a 2.5ga batch.

It also used quite a steeping grain bill. Here's a link to the recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/extract-peanut-butter-stout-229770/

Hmm, I'm not sure on what the fermentables/unfermentables of PB2 are, and I've never used lactose, but I'm going to assume it may have around the same gravity as regular sugar, except unfermentable. Your steeping grain bill also as a lot of unfermentables in it as well, It may be stuck there, and there may not be much to do about it. I suppose you could try using some champagne yeast, but I have a feeling it may not change much. Sour green apple is the also a taste of green beer, so you may just need to age it longer. I would assume, judging by the recipe, that you may have to let this batch age for several months to a half a year, but I could be wrong.

Judging by that link, you racked the beer out of primary after only 7 days. That could have contributed to the acetyldehyde (green apple) in the beer. Taking the beer off of the yeast before it's done cleaning up can lead to off flavors. It may also help explain the high FG.

Not sure what to tell ya on this one.

-chuck

Well, thanks a lot to both of you. I will definitely know for next time. :)

I am going to let it secondary for about 3.5 to 4 weeks so maybe some of it will clean up.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back