Raleigh Area Group Grain Buy-Round 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

THIS BULK BUY IS NOW CLOSED

It hasn't even been a month since we did round 3, but a lot of folks missed out on the first one and there seems to be enough interest that we might actually be able to do another one already.

We are continuing the idea of distributing the pain on handling the order.

Walker (yeah.. me) will be accepting PMs, and PMs only, for items to be ordered. If you post a request in this thread, I cannot guarantee you that I'll see it.
- NO HOPS. The spot pricing makes it impossible to keep up with.
- JUST GRAIN. Random items like cleaners and spices and whatever result in Reelale having to call the place a bunch of times to make sure they can jam it onto a pallet with the sacks of grain.

Reelale will be taking payments via paypal and placing the order after we close the window on things.

Skeeordye11 will be arranging and handling the delivery end of things.

To see the catalog, go to:
http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/download.asp?f=f6
The password is "greatmalt".

When you send me a PM with an order request, please use the item code (like TF-MOPA for Tomas Fawcett Maris Otter.) And make sure you tell me how many you want.

If you are going to split a sack of something with someone, please make it clear that a particular bag is being split and who all the people are involved in the split. Each person will be charged ONLY for their portion of the split bags.

Feel free to use this thread to chat and find partners to split sacks with and everything.

ON YOUR MARKS

GET SET

GO!

Link to the spreadsheet is HERE

This is a new spreadsheet with multiple pages.

ORDER
This tab is the summary of the order. Who, what, how many, how much, tax, shipping, etc. It shows the total order value and total number of bags.

ITEMS
This is the subset of the catalog items that are being ordered. This page shows how many of each item will need to be ordered. As new items are requested, I will add them to this page with their price and sack weight. THESE PRICES ASSUME WE WILL REACH THE 2000# PRICE BUCKET.

CONSTANTS
Tax and shipping stuff. Figures up the Fuel surcharge, how many pallets we need, etc, etc.

BUYERS
A list of each person involved as well as that person's individual total for the order. D

I will keep this up to date as orders come in.

IT'S TIME TO PAY

Please check the spreadsheet page labeled "Buyers" to see your individual total owed for this bulk buy.

To pay, please follow these instructions carefully to avoid paypal fees.

• Click the "Send Money" tab at the top.
  • Put in Reelale's email address (check your PM inbox to get that address - I will send it out as soon as Reelale confirms the address to use - some of you may already have the email address from previous buys, but do NOT use that until Reelale confirms that it is the correct one and I send you a PM).
  • Put in the amount to send.

Here's the important part...

• Under the amount box, click the "Personal" tab.
  • Select "Gift".
  • If you are paying from an existing paypal balance, or from your bank account, no fees will be charged. BUT... Paypal charges transaction fees for anything that is paid for with a CREDIT CARD. If you are paying with a credit card, you will have the option of selecting who has to cough up the money for those fees. Do not push those fees onto Reelale. Suck those fees up yourself.
  • In the area at the bottom where it allows you to type in the custom text for the email that Reelale will receive, be sure to include your name, as it appears on the spreadsheet (your homebrewtalk user name), so that Reelale can track who has paid and who hasn't.
  • Then send the money and chill out.
When Reelale has all of the money, he'll place the order.

After that, skeeordye11 takes over and handles out the delivery end of things, which will be at Fullsteam brewery. Reelale and skeeordye11 will keep us all updated on when it is to arrive, when you should show up to get it, and all that jazz. You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick up and hold your grain for you.

FOR SPLIT SACKS: Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. Whatever. That's your decision to make with your splitting partners.

For reference: a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the type of grain, will just about hold half of a 55 lb sack.

Hells yeah. I'd be interested in splitting a bag of Munich and Vienna and maybe some other things.

So how do you guys use these bulk grains, and how do you decide what to buy? Do you buy just base garins? Do you buy bulk only if you have a particular style of beer you like to brew often? Does a particular grain (bought in bulk) make more sense to buy then another if, like me, you're new to brewin and aren't sure when/what you'll be brewing, and just want in on the savings? Or would I bde better off just skipping thr bulk buy? Or splitting with someone?

For anyone who hasn't done this before.... Here's how to read the catalog.

Snippet from catalog:
catalogexample.jpg

At the top of the page for the given maltster, it tells you how many pounds are in the sack (most are 55#).

The first column in the table then tells you the item code. This is what you send to me.

The columns with numbers in them indicate the price per pound. If the total order is under 1000#, then the BD-MOPA is $0.67/pound.

We are targetting a full pallet (42 bags), so we will be in the 2000#-4000# price bucket, so that BD-MOPA would be $0.64/pound.

I think most people end up buying base malts like 2-row which is usually the bulk of a brew. I buy a sac of 2-row then get all the specialty malts @ the LHBS. This definitely saves you some $$!

fyi: later tonight i will post the spreadsheet to google docs for all to see and track.

I need to make sure I have all of the proper shipping and fuel charges in it.

And don't worry about the totals shown at first. The shipping is being evenly divided "per bag" so until we get up to the 42 bags, the first guys on the spreadsheet are going to look like they have massive shipping charges.

so far, we are at 3 bags; 2 for foltster and 1 for HoppyGus.

So how do you guys use these bulk grains, and how do you decide what to buy? Do you buy just base garins? Do you buy bulk only if you have a particular style of beer you like to brew often? Does a particular grain (bought in bulk) make more sense to buy then another if, like me, you're new to brewin and aren't sure when/what you'll be brewing, and just want in on the savings? Or would I bde better off just skipping thr bulk buy? Or splitting with someone?

Figure 1 bag of 2-row (55LBs) will make about 5 batches of beer at 5 gallons per batch.

Base 2-row or pale malt is the only grain most of us buy in bulk.

It takes a long time to go through 55LBs of specialty malts like crystal or chocolate...

this grain buy set up we have here is pretty much awesome as hell, however...

My SWMBO is not happy that i now take up most of the garage, half the laundry room, and the office closet with all my grain/beer junk, so i must refrain for the time being. Thanks though!:mug:

My SWMBO is not happy that i now take up most of the garage, half the laundry room, and the office closet with all my grain/beer junk, so i must refrain for the time being. Thanks though!:mug:

You can store some extra grain at my house! I PROMISE it won't get crushed or get wet;)

Figure 1 bag of 2-row (55LBs) will make about 5 batches of beer at 5 gallons per batch.

Base 2-row or pale malt is the only grain most of us buy in bulk.

It takes a long time to go through 55LBs of specialty malts like crystal or chocolate...

That is what i have always done, buy base malt in bulk, buy specialty @ LHBS, but last time split a sack of specialty malts like wheat and munich b/c they can constitute up to 1/2 the grist in any given batch (german beers, hefe's & other wheat beers etc.) and can pass some savings back to you.

just my 2cents.

Yeah... oddly enough... I don't think me, skee, or reelale are even buying anything this time... we're just handling the order for the good of mankind.

Is this for grain only, and in Raleigh, NC only?

I assume you guys aren't trying to coordinate a grain buy and ship to suckers like me who live out of Raleigh. I have been desparately looking for a bulk extract buy, but would be down for some 2row and maybe some other since I need to get my arse into all grain (best get knuckles deep).

Understand if you have to exclude the yankee

I assume you guys aren't trying to coordinate a grain buy and ship to suckers like me who live out of Raleigh. I have been desparately looking for a bulk extract buy, but would be down for some 2row and maybe some other since I need to get my arse into all grain (best get knuckles deep).

I don't think you'd save any money if you had to pay for shipping to us and then shipping back to you. Especially for 55# sacks. Sorry.

Yeah, sorry.

this is for grain only, and only for people who can show-up in person to get their loot.

Yeah, sorry.

this is for grain only, and only for people who can show-up in person to get their loot.

:) you can't hate a brotha for trying.

Crazy part is there is a NCM place a couple hours from my house. But they won't sell to me as a homebrewer....

Thanks!

Yeah... oddly enough... I don't think me, skee, or reelale are even buying anything this time... we're just handling the order for the good of mankind.

And don't forget the 35% surcharge. Cha, ching!

Link to the spreadsheet is in the first post in this thread.

This is a new spreadsheet with multiple pages.

ORDER
This tab is the summary of the order. Who, what, how many, how much, tax, shipping, etc. It shows the total order value and total number of bags.

ITEMS
This is the subset of the catalog items that are being ordered. This page shows how many of each item will need to be ordered. As new items are requested, I will add them to this page.

CONSTANTS
Tax and shipping stuff. Reelale... I could use your eyes to make sure I have the stuff right on there.

BUYERS
A list of each person involved as well as that person's individual total for the order. Don't worry right now. We only have a few bags so far, so the shipping "per bag" is high. It will fall a lot before this is said and done.

I will keep this up to date as orders come in, probably making an update in the morning and another in the evening.

please let me know if anyone has trouble accessing the spreadsheet via google docs.

edit: I believe I have it set-up so that you guys can only view the spreadsheet and cannot make modifications to it.

CONSTANTS
Tax and shipping stuff. Reelale... I could use your eyes to make sure I have the stuff right on there.

Reelale: this page isn't labeled well, but the items are:

7.75% NC Sales tax, which ends up applied to product + shipping.
$165 pallet charge
20% on top of this $165 for fuel surcharge ($33)
That gves a total shipping charge of $198.

This is then divided by the total number of bags to give a per-bag shipping charge, which is currently at $18 per bag (and will come down as we get to 42 bags).

Reelale: this page isn't labeled well, but the items are:

7.75% NC Sales tax, which ends up applied to product + shipping.
$165 pallet charge
20% on top of this $165 for fuel surcharge ($33)
That gves a total shipping charge of $198.

This is then divided by the total number of bags to give a per-bag shipping charge, which is currently at $18 per bag (and will come down as we get to 42 bags).

Looks correct to me. And the sheet is protected. No problem accessing it from here. I'll give it a good once-over once more cells get populated.

:) you can't hate a brotha for trying.

Crazy part is there is a NCM place a couple hours from my house. But they won't sell to me as a homebrewer....

Thanks!

We got lucky there. Reelale set up an account last year and we placed our first bulk order. Then Country Malt stopped selling to homebrewers. But, if you already had an account (like Reelale did) you could continue to use it.

Pure dumb luck for us, and now Reelale has power over everyone.

We got lucky there. Reelale set up an account last year and we placed our first bulk order. Then Country Malt stopped selling to homebrewers. But, if you already had an account (like Reelale did) you could continue to use it.

I'm sure Reel feels REAL lucky at this point!

Sometimes I buy grain too. Right now I'm merely a benevolent middle-man.

Just saw the news. Wow, hostage situation, in Cary?! Snipers, etc.

Looks like they popped him. Who robs a bank these days?!

Cary, N.C. — After more than two hours of negotiation, a man who held hostages in a Cary bank left the building with his gun to the head of a woman. As the pair walked from the Wachovia at 10050 Green Level Church Road, police fired, killing the gunman.

Hey guys. Just got back from robbing a bank. Don't try that ****! They nearly shot me.

Anyway... small issue with google docs. It is lacking some of the features that I am using in Excel, so I can't directly edit the google docs version of the spreadsheet. I am keeping the live copy on my computer and will re-upload it as I make changes.

But... this means that the link will change every time I upload a new one. So, if you bookmarked the link, delete the bookmark. I am keeping the links to the spreadsheet updated in my previous posts, so it will always take you to the most recent version.

We are currently up to 18 bags.

Hey guys. Just got back from robbing a bank. Don't try that ****! They nearly shot me.

Anyway... small issue with google docs. It is lacking some of the features that I am using in Excel, so I can't directly edit the google docs version of the spreadsheet. I am keeping the live copy on my computer and will re-upload it as I make changes.

But... this means that the link will change every time I upload a new one. So, if you bookmarked the link, delete the bookmark. I am keeping the links to the spreadsheet updated in my previous posts, so it will always take you to the most recent version.

We are currently up to 18 bags.

Dropbox.com. Saves original file, synchs all copies, and allows opening in native format. And it's free. Just a thought.

Dropbox.com. Saves original file, synchs all copies, and allows opening in native format. And it's free. Just a thought.

Yeah, but....

I cannot use dropbox.com (or any other file sharing sites other than google docs) because of the firewall policies on my computer. It's a laptop issued to me by my employer, and I cannot even get to those sites.

On the last bulk buy, I had idahoDal download and email me a copy of the spreadsheet every time you updated it. That was the only way I could get to it. :D

Yeah, but....

I cannot use dropbox.com (or any other file sharing sites other than google docs) because of the firewall policies on my computer. It's a laptop issued to me by my employer, and I cannot even get to those sites.

On the last bulk buy, I had idahoDal download and email me a copy of the spreadsheet every time you updated it. That was the only way I could get to it. :D

Ahhhh. I understand. The updated link works for me.

Just a quick question or 2. Will this come out of Hickory? Can someone drive up and pick it up? Think that would save any money (since we'd pay whomever to drive up there, back, buy him dinner, etc.)? If someone was heading there and back anyway, it might be a way for us to pay him instead of a shipper.

Just a quick question or 2. Will this come out of Hickory? Can someone drive up and pick it up? Think that would save any money (since we'd pay whomever to drive up there, back, buy him dinner, etc.)? If someone was heading there and back anyway, it might be a way for us to pay him instead of a shipper.

I think the only person that could do that would be reelale since you have to have an account to buy from them, even if you aren't having it shipped. I doubt that he'd want to drive his truck to hickory and have them fire a pallet of grain on the back just to save you guys a few $$. But I could be wrong.

I think the only person that could do that would be reelale since you have to have an account to buy from them, even if you aren't having it shipped. I doubt that he'd want to drive his truck to hickory and have them fire a pallet of grain on the back just to save you guys a few $$. But I could be wrong.

I don't know if he would be the only one or not. No idea if anyone can pick it up since they're a business and may or may not care who picks up an order. I'd definitely be willing to pay pretty much the same thing as I'd pay a hauler since it isn't free to do it on your own dime, either but it would go to someone rather than a company. Like I said, if someone was heading that way anyway... :mug:

Alright, only 25 or so more sacks to go.

...and to get the 2000# discounted price. (Well at least 37 total)

Reelale... question on this.

If the weight does not break 2000#, there is the one issue that the grain price is a little higher (this isn't a HUGE difference... it's just a few cents per pound, so a couple bucks difference in the price of a sack), but is there a higher shipping charge if the pallet isn't full (42 sacks)?

Or do they just charge that pallet rate ($165 + 20% fuel surcharge) regardless of how many bags are on it? I wasn't sure about that part.

Most companies charge a flat rate to ship a pallet. It is immaterial how many items are on the pallet. The only impact would be the shipping charge per sack would increase.

Back