Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You absolutely can. With literally any other beer.

This.

Bought it once for sh!ts and giggles a few months ago. Tasted turrible and drinking just 4 of them gave me a hangover.

I have no qualms about drinking cheap macrolager from time to time, but I aint buying that crap again, no matter how cheap it is.

#1 has to be YETI Beer, Couldn't even finish half the bottle with my brother. Disgusting Indian crap.

AND I hate to say this but STONE Green Tea IPA was HORRIBLE! Tried at winter brew fest and I had to dump it, so did 2 of my 3 friends. Nasty Bile tasting IPA, YUCK

Old Chub...whatever the hell it was. Free from a coworker....apparently she wanted me to die...lol

AND I hate to say this but STONE Green Tea IPA was HORRIBLE! Tried at winter brew fest and I had to dump it, so did 2 of my 3 friends. Nasty Bile tasting IPA, YUCK

Old Chub...whatever the hell it was. Free from a coworker....apparently she wanted me to die...lol

Srsly? I should be so lucky that those were the worst beers I ever had. ;)

Worst? Gotta be Camo...

Camo.jpg

Worst? Gotta be Camo...

OK... I thought of one I had just recently that may actually be worse than Camo:

New Belgium and 3 Floyds collaboration Lips of Faith Series Grätzer...

Sour... smoked... (both of which I usually like!) near-dead style from Poland. There are some styles of beer that should be allowed to die!

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detail.aspx?id=bda75e42-8a28-4f2b-860e-9fa40938b877

I bought 2 bombers of this... Have no idea what I'm going to do with the other one...

I want to update my previous comment to say: anything from Lazy Magnolia. They just need to shut down.

Steel Reserve is indeed nasty stuff. I bought a 4 pack of it while I was living in downtown Madison. Memories of vomiting loudly are all I can process right now.

Hamm's was another bad one. Had that for 50 cents a can at some bar in River Falls. That was a black out night.

I crushed a fouty of Steel Reserve a while back. I was already half in the bag and I remember thinking, "this stuff isn't that bad"...

The only "commercial" beer I have ever actually gagged on is Tequeza, and a close second in the terrible category is Bud Light Lime. You can imagine how amused I was when I saw this, looking for a picture of Tequeza.

a-b-tequiza-dies.jpg

bud lime light was once described to me as follows:
take a bad cheap light beer, now add "ajax lime" dishwashing liquid.

I decided against ever bothering to find that "beer"

High school days.. 5 years ago haha. We drank a lot of busch light, natty light and four lokos (the originals). But the worst beer I have ever had was Bürger Light. But for 5.99 for a 12 pack we drank it... a lot. Maybe I would like it now, but let's not even try. But other than beer, we drank a lot of Old Dan Tucker that we would get from walmart and then a few bottles at a time of generic 105 proof and bacardi 151.

Though to this day, not all "cheap" beer is bad. I still drink strohs, sometimes pbr and rolling rock. Those are my go to brews when I am just in the mood to pound a few.

Moosehead.

I might have posted this before. If so, pardons.

If not... yeah. Moosehead. Bitter pisswasser.

I'm not going to sift through all the posts to see if someone has already mentioned it, but my vote for worst commercial beer has got to be Bud. Gray water, at best. I would be remiss if I didn't give a nasty beer honorable mention to Dogfishhead 90 minute and 120 minute IPA.

The only "commercial" beer I have ever actually gagged on is Tequeza, and a close second in the terrible category is Bud Light Lime. You can imagine how amused I was when I saw this, looking for a picture of Tequeza.

Budweiser is trying to trick people with Oculto. It claims it is made by Broken Barrel Brewing Company in Houston, TX AND WIlliamsburg, VA (pretty much a dead giveaway that there are two breweries). Essentially the exact same thing as Tequiza (which I had forgotten about until now).

OK... I thought of one I had just recently that may actually be worse than Camo:

New Belgium and 3 Floyds collaboration Lips of Faith Series Grätzer...

Sour... smoked... (both of which I usually like!) near-dead style from Poland. There are some styles of beer that should be allowed to die!

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detail.aspx?id=bda75e42-8a28-4f2b-860e-9fa40938b877

I bought 2 bombers of this... Have no idea what I'm going to do with the other one...
I actually really liked the Graetzer. Theirs is not traditional in that it is dark and roasty from what I understand (thought their idea may have been to recreate the old way of malting).

I think wheat beers go really well with smoke and roast for some reason...

Red Dog. Tried it for nostalgia a couple years back, horrible idea. Couldn't believe that they still brewed it, or maybe it was left over from 1992...

Had a Steel Reserve for nostalgic reasons on the way to New Orleans for my bachelor party two months ago. I regret nothing (but it was terrible). I was hungover and drinking in the back seat of a Police Interceptor (decommissioned) at noon.

Tried an Oculto 3.2 this weekend. "Beer blended with Blue Agave and aged on Tequila staves".

Seemed interesting. Never heard of any beer aged on wood used for tequila. I like tequila. I like beer.

Did NOT like this. Had a margerita like sweet/sour finish behind what tasted like fermented corn syrup. Smelled like a skunky Corona.

My bar was out of Yingling so I tried: Samuel Adams - Cold Snap. It was like sucking on an unripe grapefruit, I only got a quarter of the way through it and asked for a budwiser to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. I couldn't finish another beer after that. To me Beer and Fruit don't mix.

The bar dumped half the keg a few weeks later, because nobody would drink it.

My exact thought when I saw that Occulto in the store was "Hmm, looks like Bud is trying to roll out Tequiza again." No thanks.

Oklahoma is under a 2 strength system of regulation. Thus most often I am at a bottle shop to get beer. However, several local breweries have opted to make some 3.2% beers. This weekend I decided I wanted to stay with table beers. Put Goose Island IPA back to give this a try.

Not the worst commercial beer, but definitely a not-so-great interaction with a brewery (I won't name them unless someone really wants to know who).

It's a brewery out of Austin that mainly makes so-so beers. I tried their brown ale over the weekend while in Galveston and found it to be really harshly bitter. Like they had used hard water or the wrong kind of bittering hop. I was probably a little harsh with the rating on Untappd (gave it a 2.5*) and left a little comment saying that I thought it was too bitter. The next day I get a comment from them saying "The style is 'Texas Brown Ale', here is the history" (article with history of American Brown Ales linked).

I read the article and learned about the story that the American/Texas brown ale has its origins in homebrewing (apparently in Texas, but then commercially in California). Interesting read. But the thing is, I know about the style. I wasn't comparing it to an English Brown standard. Maybe my comment came off a glib and rude, but holy **** man, that's some bad PR making comments as rude as that to customers.

I have given a 0.5 star rating to a small brewery because it was just a nasty beer, then given another one of theirs a 4. I commented that it was the best by far from them and they responded saying "glad you found one you enjoyed, please keep drinking!". That to me sounded like a good PR work. Don't try to respond to negative comments sounding like you are going to lecture a consumer.

I also kind of had a bad taste in my mouth about this brewery ahead of time. Last year (or maybe 2 years ago) I went to a beer festival here in Houston. I recognized the head brewer by name behind their table. When I asked "hey, you're the owner and head brewer right?" I got a haughty "yea" and nothing else. I was excited and wanted to try more of their beers, but after that I felt like he had no interest in selling me anything or getting me interested. This guy has been part of the homebrew community for years, so I was excited to meet him and figured with his history he'd be great at it. Now I just have no interest in their beers anymore.

*My rating scale generally goes like this:
0-1: not worth drinking
1-2: flawed beer, would drink if it is the only thing available
2-3: has issues, wouldn't buy for a party or hanging out
3-4: no flaws, would buy as a drinking beer
4-4.5: technically no issues, but not my favorites
4.5-5: my favorites
I also try to only judge on style, not on what I like. In other words, I won't give every cream ale a rating less than 3 just because I am not a fan of the style.

Cherry vanilla stout I was trying out some new beers and I didn't see the cherry vanilla part it was disgusting

I once bought a 6 dollar 12 pack from wal mart called josef haufbauer. It was made by anheuser busch and tasted distinctly like mushroom soup. I couldnt do it, 11 went down the drain

You know a majority of the beers i decide to try out I absolutely hate but at the same time it's kind of like motivation because I'm like yeah I can do better than that

I wanted to hate Shock Top [Belgian White] but it was on sale so cheap today I bought a 12-pack just to try it. It is not as good as Hoegaarden, but it's better than most of the witbiers I've had.

This beer. Taste like medicine. took one sip and poured out the rest into the drain. waste of $17. was so mad i spent that much on it.

founders-blushing-monk.jpg

Arctic by "Mack". It's the Norwegian version of natty light. As a bonus it causes horrifying levels of flatulence. I have no idea why, but it do.

Only beer I couldn`t finish was a rye beer with added black pepper. Couldn`t taste a thing except for overpowering pepper. Second would be a nut brown ale with nut flavor that tasted like nasty coffee hazelnut syrup, Brooklyn Brewery maybe?

If you can get a flqvor naturally from the beer reinforcing that flavor by adding adjuncts to turn it up to 11 makes it really easy to overdo it. Except chocolate stouts, those are generally at least OK.

Back