Brewing on a Boat?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witty1

Reaction score
I am planning to sail across the Pacific in 2012 with my family and one of my biggest fears is having enough beer when we reach our tropical destinations!

Storage and weight is a big issue when you have 5 people on a 47 foot sailboat, so this is actually a serious question. I have not yet entered the home brewing world (drinking others HB yes, making it no).

Question: Would the constant boat movement from waves/swells impact the brewing process?

Never tried it...but I bet it would be quite difficult to pull off as a new brewer or even for a seasoned brewmaster.

What type of weight and/or storage issues do you think brewing the beer would solve?

-hint: It won't.

Well, you'd have a pot full of boiling liquid that would be swaying side to side. That would be disconcerting to me. Also you need a ton of freshwater for brewing...outside of what you use to brew, what you use to clean, to chill, etc. It's very water intensive.

I think with the storage of the grain, equipment, hops, etc. etc. etc. you'd probably take up less space just bringing beer.

Found some of the other threads and reading through them now... This family is brewing on their sailboat so I am reading through his process, equipment and uniue sailboat/cruising conciderations.

this is a most amazing forum!

Not sharks,
Not storms,
Not getting lost,
Not falling overboard,

But running out of Beer is one of your biggest fears!

To coin an 80's phrase, "I want to party with that guy!"

I like your style. brewing beer, sailing, and listening to "im on a boat" is the ultimate combo.

Back