Homegrown Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuelhof

Reaction score
My father in law is planting a variety of hops on his farm (25 plants in all), and is going to plant Triumph Barley (around 3 acres) and Oats (2 acres). Obviously, I think I could definitely make use of some of his produce! Can anyone tell me more about the Triumph Barley? He said he isn't sure if its 2 row or 6 row, but that Triumph is the cultivar. Is this variety a good option for malting?

I have only made one batch so far (extract), but if these crops all pan out, I may be making the switch to AG very soon!

If I haven't given enough information, please let me know and I will try to get more from my FIL.

Thanks!

Yeah, I agree! That's why I'm trying to get more information from experienced people on here....My father in law wants to make sure that the crops are usable, and I don't know enough about the grains yet!

Anyone have any info?

I'd search for threads about people malting grains.. there are a few on these boards. I think that would be the most foreign process for me.

triumph was originally introduced in the 80s to Scottish farmers for distilling. I dont know what the correlation between malted grain for brewing and distilling is. malting grain is lots of fun i just did my first experiment with 4 lbs its drying as we speak!

Interesting...how much land do you have the barley planted on to get 4lbs? Maybe I will have to look into distilling...hmm....

Back