Cleaning plastic carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCapn22

Reaction score
I'm sure this is asked often, I used the search and couldn't find anything conclusive myself.

I know not to use anything abrasive as a scratch can = an infection. I've got a ring of gunk in one of my BB's that didn't get taken care of when I cleaned it out after racking. Any ideas? I'm gonna try soaking in oxyclean tonight and see if it gets rid of it.

I usually soak my Better Bottles and everything is fine.

For the really stubborn stuff, I toss a wash cloth inside the bottle and a little water and PBW and swirl it around. Fishing the wash cloth out takes longer than the actual cleaning.

If soaking in Oxyclean doesn't work (it usually does), put a little water, cleaner, and a wash cloth in there and start swirling.

edit: ha, I need to type faster :D

Even though this thread is old I wanted to bump it. I wasn't able to get a ring off my plastic carboy after an oxyclean soak followed by a PBW soak. Swirling a hot, wet wash rag around the ring area did the trick!

Back