Like your opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a cream stout, and it has been fermenting for over a week now. I usually transfer my brew into the secondary fermenter after 7 days.

Well its 8 days and counting, but I am still getting bubbles.

What do you think, transfer now, or wait for the bubbles to completely stop?

Ok...Thanks for your opinions "semi plural......." I still have some foam on top that has not settled to the bottom, however the activity seems to have stoped. As this is only me second batch, I am just wondering about specifics I guess.

there are no real specifics unless you are using a hydrometer and know that fermentation is finished.

a lot of us just use visual queues:
  • the foam on top collapses back into the beer and goes away
  • the bubbles in the airlock are happening very infrequently
-walker

yea and since 99% of your fermentation should be done in primary...let it go a little longer until you either dont see any bubbles, or the interval of their appearance is minutes between.

Excellent. I will time the bubbles now actually. Ill see how long inbetween bubbles. I just thought the foam would have settled by now.

Ok IM about one bubble per 1 minute 15 seconds...I guess at least one more day then ha?

Will the time in the secondary be shorter or keep it the same do you think?

I would recommend that until you become familiar with visual signs, use your hydrometer. It will never fail you.

I was a little hesitant about the hydrometer as I was told it is possible to contaminate with the hydrometer, but I guess just like everything else.....care should eliminate the chances of contamination

Saxmk6 said:
Ok IM about one bubble per 1 minute 15 seconds...I guess at least one more day then ha?

Will the time in the secondary be shorter or keep it the same do you think?

Yup... probably another day or two.

As for the secondary... you're just letting the beer clarify and mellow a little. The time spent in the secondary should not be affected by the time spent in the primary.

I always give my beers a full 2 weeks in the secondary, sometimes longer if I'm too busy to get them bottled.

The hydrometer should never be put into the fermenter. If you do that, then yes, you can contaminate your beer. Use a clean and sanitized turkey baster (each and every time you sample), draw some wort from the fermenter and dispense into a hydometer jar. Take your hydrometer reading there. Do not return the wort to the fermenter. In fact drink it up, don't let it go to waste down the drain.

Back