No Flowers yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I planted five different hops in early April and havn't gotten any flowers. Do you think they are just bloomering later than others or that I might not get any this year?

We only got a handful on the first year. Literally, a handful and a small hand at that. Your hops are busy sending their roots down to China so that next year you can have a real harvest.

I was led to understand that I shouldn't expect any hops from my first year hops, either, but my Zeus has a bunch of flowers coming in! My Willamette has fewer, but it still has some (probably more like the handful described above). And mine are in pots! Don't worry, next year yours should kick ass.

All my bines were planted this spring and I have seen a huge variation in development. While all three cascade are going to produce, one is light years ahead of the other two. Two of my other bines have yet to set any burrs and a couple others just did so a week ago, so you may still have hope for this season.

All my bines were planted this spring and I have seen a huge variation in development. While all three cascade are going to produce, one is light years ahead of the other two. Two of my other bines have yet to set any burrs and a couple others just did so a week ago, so you may still have hope for this season.
Same here. I've got tons on 2 of the bines, and the other two aren't even half as tall... I expect to get a few ounces though :mug:

My first year, only the Cascade and Fuggles produced anything. Between the two, I had enough hops to make a Mild.

First year plants really need to put their energy into root development.

I am in the same boat. 7 different varieties, and only my cascades have hops on them right now.

I live in the mojave desert, so we get some high temps. So even if the other 6 varieties do not do well, i now know how well cascades do in hotter temps.
Cascade is proving to be a promising variety :)

In fact, they are exploding with hops! They are getting huge all of a sudden! :)

I too am in hte same boat.... My Mt Hood's are racing upward and now at 14 ft. Laterals are still sprouting.

The Cascade is about 11 ft for 1 bine and 4-6 for the rest. Bunch of small lat's starting out.

Next year my costs will go down further.... :)

Back