Water Cooler Refrigeration Components Fermentation Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben25

Reaction score
A lady at work was throwing away a fairly new water chiller(that you put the big 5 gal bottles on), so I took out the refrigerating components to use for a fermentation chiller. I plan to make a box out of plywood and 1" foam board and mount the chiller coil to the top back of the box. Then just use an external temp controller.

Anyone ever done anything like this? If so, will it be enough to cool a decent sized box?

Thanks!

Ben

Most water coolers only have like 100W of cooling power, but if you are just trying to chill a small area by a few degrees, I would think this should work. However your wort would need to be close to the target temperature when putting it into your box

Well the water is pretty cold here most of the summer, and it winter it gets down to about 40, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure of the wattage of this unit, but I'll assume its 100. It might take me a month or so to start the project; I'm getting married this weekend, and will probably be busy for a while after wards....

Hey congrats on getting married it's fun.
You will be serving homebrews at the reception?
After you pass being married 30 plus years you will have all
the time in the world to make homebrews.
Again congrats, where ya headed after gettihg hitched?

There won't be any homebrew at the reception, just because I don't have that much at the moment, and it would be too much of a hassle. I have about 12 gallons and we will probably drink most of it tomorrow night before the bachelor party...

We are actually going to wait til September for the honeymoon, but the reason for that (as suggested by my fiancee) is that Oktoberfest happens to start in late September.
We will be going to London (where she grew up) for a week and then off to Munich for another week for Oktoberfest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should be fun!

All I can say is enjoy your trip and take plenty of pictures.
I've beeen there done that but on motorcycle for 105 days
enjoyed all the differnt countries and met many people on
this rock. Again enjoy yourself the brewing can wait.
Do everything you can to stop in Belgium, their many Biers are
a must try item. The fun's twisting the throttle, or putting
your toes into the butterflies in a few countries and still feel safe
at speed than here in the USA. NZ a Norton's waiting from a
stateside friend now a NZ resident a BMW in Oz from a group I met
in Northern Italy and thru the Swiss Alps.

I would watch the ABV in some countries it will get ya if your
thirsty and kick your butt if your not careful. I made that mistake
more than once. Do it all again in a heartbeat you bet.

Back