2009 NHC entries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are judging sessions open to the public? I know they probably aren't anything really exciting, just curious.

If you are willing to help out, I think they rarely turn anyone away. Steward, help pull bottles, clean-up etc. But I have never seen anyone just ask to watch.

I know that at least my blonde ale is advancing, I'm not sure of my other entries since I haven't gotten all the scoresheets back yet. As always its interesting to see how different judges notice different things, even the same beer entered twice in the same flight (as different subcategories)

I judged a flight of american ale's on saturday, but only had enough time for one flight since we had a wedding to go to in the afternoon. The beer that received the highest score in our flight went on to take 1st in the mini-BOS round.

Oh one more thing about the northwest region. John said the scoresheets should be going in the mail today (or hopefully tomorrow at the latest)

I received score sheets in the mail yesterday from the East region, so if your region judged the weekend of 4/17-4/18 then you should be getting your score sheets very soon.

That's when south was supposed to judge, but it looks like they tacked on the 25th to finish up.

That was the last day, only one category though.

I was under the impression that all the regions were supposed to send out sheets at the same time, after the scores were posted online.

Northwest score sheets arrived at my home today. That was a swift kick in the junk. After doing really well at the GAzHC, Oregon Homebrew Competition, Slurp and Burp...then this. 999 only one that scored somewhat well at 35 points. Everything else in the 20's. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Good luck to everyone else!

Got mine-one entry an American Stout. Scored 38.5....not sure if that moves me on or not. There is a blank in the score awarded area. Guess that means no? Is it just the top 3 in each category?

Kinda bummed, one judge was novice and the other, though BJCP basically wrote one word descriptions and did not complete all areas of the score sheet.

Got mine-one entry an American Stout. Scored 38.5....not sure if that moves me on or not. There is a blank in the score awarded area. Guess that means no? Is it just the top 3 in each category?

Kinda bummed, one judge was novice and the other, though BJCP basically wrote one word descriptions and did not complete all areas of the score sheet.

There were 4 flights of stouts in northwest. I wasn't able to stick around to see how it ended up though. Basically as many as the top 3 beers in each flight go onto a mini-BOS round where the top 3 are selected.

Last year I had 3 beers that had the highest score in the category but didn't go on.

Edit: I wouldn't be bummed about getting a 38.5, thats a really good score

Bokonon

Thanks, I know 38.5 is good. 4 flights makes me feel better. I should expect stout to be a tough category in the NW. Now I can drink the rest of my batch!

Tim

Score sheets showed yesterday. Only one entry.
A chipotle porter. #23

34 points average

1st place

Got my sheets back yesterday. There was no indication if any moved on to next round.

Wild Cranberry Apfelwien - 39.5
999 Barleywine - 38
Oatmeal Stout - 35.5
ESB - 34

I think the letter in the packet said they would post online the region results. I'm really hoping at least one moves on.

Scored a 42.5 and a 38 and did'nt make it to the second round. These two made it to the mini BOS. The other four were cannon fodder for the rest of the brewers. Good luck to those who make it. :rockin:

Well, I thought the results would be wrapped up today. But obviously I was mistaken. One more day of waiting anyway! I haven't even gotten my score sheets yet!

I received my sheets today. I was disappointed until I cracked a bottle to compare...

Judges were right on. The beer did not age well (next year, I won't make that mistake!). It has been bottled for quite awhile. The bitterness mellowed, and the big RIS turned a bit sweet.

In the end, I am very happy. I did my tasting and compared my comments with both judges. The 32 I received was very accurate.

f'in a. so much action for a few days then a standstill. I wish I hadn't read about everyone getting their sheets already. Hurry up and wait, as they say.

Yup, the waiting is the hardest part...

2 regions to process and one of them is mine. I knew I shouldn't have entered so many styles!

Good news!

Side question: Mandoman, what kind of mando do you play (assuming that is what mandoman refers to). I have a Weber and love it, although I don't believe I will ever do much more then pick around.

36/36/34.5/33

Good enough for me on my first ever barley wine, a beer with no real style, and a scottish ale that fell firmly between 80 shilling and scotch! No awards, but great feedback. My barleywine notes were continued to the back of the page.

brewpastor,

My mando history: oscar schmidt, flatiron, flatiron, gibson/flatiron, ratliff, kentucky 505. Seriously, the $300 kentucky is the best one. I know, chinese and all but it's a great player. Webers are awesome, as you can tell, I'm partial as I've had so many flatirons.

Today is wednesday. . . . . we'll see!

My first competition 'lost' my score sheets and this will be the first feedback I've ever had . . . . assuming I get them!

Chris

I was just gonna post a "Cmon Canada and SW...quit lolly-gaggin'! I want my humble pie now dammit!":D but I see ollllllo had an update yesterday. Figures I get a better update here than the actual source (which BTW still says SW is 'processing'). Luckily...I have more patience with yeast.

Mine was an old Kay with a warped neck, a Washburn and then the Weber. The Weber is the only one worth playing.

Feedback is only as good as the person offering it. I have had great feedback, really poor feedback and mostly obvious and inconsequential feedback. Sometimes it is wrong (like the guy who told me a specialty ale was too dark to be an ale) and other times it has been insulting (like the classic "this beer should never have been entered) but most of the time they reflect an effort to provide good input.

Best of luck to everyone in both the comp and in the feedback.

Maybe today is the day!

Back