whats the best soak for a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I have been using oxiclean at about 2 tbs per 5 gallons and soaking overnight but I have heard that people are soaking for up to a week, what amount and time are you all using for oxiclean?

I also just picked up some barkeepers friend to clean up some kegs can this be used on carboys? if so which is better oxi or barkeepers?

I have been using oxiclean at about 2 tbs per 5 gallons and soaking overnight but I have heard that people are soaking for up to a week, what amount and time are you all using for oxiclean?

I also just picked up some barkeepers friend to clean up some kegs can this be used on carboys? if so which is better oxi or barkeepers?

I never used anything but Oxyclean. I don't have time to wait for a week. I let it sit for like an hour and everything seems to come off.

I never used anything but Oxyclean. I don't have time to wait for a week. I let it sit for like an hour and everything seems to come off.

+1. Unless it's a really bad piece of crud, I can usually get it off with a carboy brush after maybe an hour of oxy soaking.

A 1 hour soak with Oxiclean has always done the job for me.
If I am not around to rinse the carboy when the hour is up, then a soak of up to 24 hours doesn't seem to do any harm.
I have heard (but do not know if it is true) that extended soaking can cause etching of the glass. I do know that if you soak for 24 hours, it gets difficult to rinse off the residue.
Barkeepers Friend is a mild abrasive, and requires elbow grease to make it work. It's great for removing scorch marks from kettles, but would be very difficult to use in a carboy. Oxiclean also works really well in kegs.

-a.

I usually soak anywhere from overnight to several weeks, depending on how lazy I am. I always use Oxyclean Free, and have found it gets the job done better than the more expensive PBW.

Bottle deposits get cleaned out as quickly as a few hours.

I'm cheap so instead of oxiclean I use dishwasher detergent. Overnight soak does wonders. Just don't get one with any perfumes in it. :D I tried oxiclean once and had the exact same results. I soaked my carboy overnight as well with that spendy stuff.

The best soak for a carboy after a long week of fermenting is a long hot soak in the tub with mineral salts and some Mr. Bubble. Put on some Celtic folk music and maybe light some lavender candles.

What?

The best soak for a carboy after a long week of fermenting is a long hot soak in the tub with mineral salts and some Mr. Bubble. Put on some Celtic folk music and maybe light some lavender candles.

What?

HAHAHAHAH!!! ROFLMAO!!!!! Yeah, or a nice long soak in a hot tub!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Maybe a massage with a happy ending!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

I use a scoop of oxyclean in "some" water- so I don't really measure it. I wouldn't use BKF, though- it seems like it's more like a scouring powder, and I'd think it could etch or scratch glass.

Look for Sun Oxygen cleaner, it's the Wal-Mart brand OxyClean. I think it was 4 or 5 times less per ounce when I bought it the last time. I use it on kegs and carboys, bottles too. Pretty soon I'm going to try loosening up the labels on bottles with it.

I use a scoop of oxyclean in "some" water- so I don't really measure it. I wouldn't use BKF, though- it seems like it's more like a scouring powder, and I'd think it could etch or scratch glass.

I tried a scoop before but it seemed like a lot and it didnt all dissolve what size is your scoop I have a large tub of oxi so I think the scoop size is different than those small tubs.

yes, it's also unscented. That's what I use. It'll say in big letters if it's scented or not, since it's a marketing ploy.

I do the same as you...2 tablespoons per 5 gallons. Soak overnight. Rinse with cool water.

I've got some carboys that have been soaking for about a month in oxyclean. Is this not advisable?

Im sure it's fine. Oxicleans active ingrediant is Sodium Percarbonate. It is safe for humans(don't eat capfulls) and totally biodegradeable.

For those that use "Oxiclean" you can probably find pure Sodium Percarbonate for much cheaper. I am sure Oxiclean adds fillers as well. I got a can of Coopers cleaning solution and it turned out to just be Sodium Percarbonate...It works great but I wont be buying it name brand anymore.

Im sure it's fine. Oxicleans active ingrediant is Sodium Percarbonate. It is safe for humans(don't eat capfulls) and totally biodegradeable.

For those that use "Oxiclean" you can probably find pure Sodium Percarbonate for much cheaper. I am sure Oxiclean adds fillers as well. I got a can of Coopers cleaning solution and it turned out to just be Sodium Percarbonate...It works great but I wont be buying it name brand anymore.

So instead of keeping us all in suspense... Give us the name of what you will be buying to avoid "name brand markup"... ??

Tips like this are great, when you include all the information. :mug:

I buy stuff called Oxy-free or Oxygen Cleaner from dollar tree. Pound for pound it's much cheaper there than the name brand stuff.

HAHAHAHAH!!! ROFLMAO!!!!! Yeah, or a nice long soak in a hot tub!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Maybe a massage with a happy ending!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

I only recommend that if using a blow off tube

Wow, I have a knack for bringing back dead threads lately.

Back