First time kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I kegged my first beer today and had some questions. I set the regulator to 10 psi and pulled the relief valve 3-4 times to push out the oxygen. Then I put the keg and tank into the fridge and set it to 20psi. I check the pressure a few minutes later and it was at 22psi. So i turned it back down to 20psi. I just checked it again and it dropped to 18psi. Why is the co2 fluctuating? Is it because the temperature is dropping in the keg?

I think you are observing Boyle's law in action. Looks to me you are doing everything right. Shake the keg a couple times a day (you will hear the gas flowing) to speed up the carbonation process if you like.

I kegged my first beer today and had some questions. I set the regulator to 10 psi and pulled the relief valve 3-4 times to push out the oxygen. Then I put the keg and tank into the fridge and set it to 20psi. I check the pressure a few minutes later and it was at 22psi. So i turned it back down to 20psi. I just checked it again and it dropped to 18psi. Why is the co2 fluctuating? Is it because the temperature is dropping in the keg?

It could be just a new regulator. It seems like it "floats" a bit when brand new. Just keep checking on it, and resetting it, and it should be ok.

and, don't shake the keg! Unless you like foamy beer and the possibility of beer backing up into your brand new regulator!

Yes it will fluctuate because of the temp. I wouldn't worry about it that much, just don't over carbonate it. I usually set my regulator for 10 psi for 7 days then back down to 6 psi for serving. I have had great luck doing it this way and have good carbonation for my taste. If I am anxious, I will set my regulator up to 30 psi for 3 days then back down to 6 psi for serving. You have to be careful that you don't over carbonate it this way because it's tough to de-carbonate! The 7 days @ 10 psi is probably the safest and most reliable method, but be sure to turn it down after you reach the carbonation that you prefer, or it will over carbonate at this pressure too! I have used this method for a few years! Hope this helps! Happy brewing!

They are both right, you can shake the keg to carb it faster, but you can have it back up in your gas line! I've done them both! LOL I try to relieve the pressure and unhook the gas before turning down the regulator so it doesn't back up.

My pressure is now level but I seem to be loosing psi in the tank. It was 800 at the beginning of the day and now it's almost down to 600? I have checked all the connections and they are tight. I have the liquid line attached, is that correct? Should I carbonate with the liquid line off?

It will do that when you put it in the fridge. A newly filled tank will read in the red in a day or two. Not to worry. The gas is contracting. I usually carbonate mine with the liquid line off until I'm ready to test the carbonation. If I'm carbonating at a high pressure, I'll drop it down before I hook up the beer line. It might foam at first, but let it sit for a bit and you can see your bubbles in your beer.

It will do that when you put it in the fridge. A newly filled tank will read in the red in a day or two. Not to worry. The gas is contracting. I usually carbonate mine with the liquid line off until I'm ready to test the carbonation. If I'm carbonating at a high pressure, I'll drop it down before I hook up the beer line. It might foam at first, but let it sit for a bit and you can see your bubbles in your beer.

Will it hurt leaving the liquid line attached?

It shouldn't, I've done it several times. I just kegged my Vanilla Porter a couple days ago @ 30 psi and checked it yesterday. I had a little bit of a mess because my beer line was not real tight so I unplugged it until today when I could clean it up. That would be my only worry is blowing off the line.

It shouldn't, I've done it several times. I just kegged my Vanilla Porter a couple days ago @ 30 psi and checked it yesterday. I had a little bit of a mess because my beer line was not real tight so I unplugged it until today when I could clean it up. That would be my only worry is blowing off the line.

I pulled the liquid line off just in case. How do I clean the line now that it is off? It has some beer in it.

Is it still sealed? If so, I would just squirt the connector with sanitizer. It shouldn't hurt anything if it hasn't been exposed to oxygen. If so, it's not that hard to take your lines off and sanitize them.

Is it still sealed? If so, I would just squirt the connector with sanitizer. It shouldn't hurt anything if it hasn't been exposed to oxygen. If so, it's not that hard to take your lines off and sanitize them.
The line has some beer in it because I pressed the tap by accident. I just can't get the beer out of the line now that it's off the keg.

When you attach the beer line and open the faucet, that beer in the line will come out. You are over thinking this a bit. Either drink it like I would or pour it out and drink the second pour.

I usually carb at 20 psi and serve at 10 psi. I have over carbonated before so when that happens I turn off the gas and drink until the carbonation is where I like it and switch the gas back on. Usually happens when I forget to drop from 20 back to my serving pressure and takes about 10 beers to get back to where I like it.

RDWHAHB!!

Remember the first time you brewed beer? All the worry.

Put the keg in the fridge, set your CO2 to serving pressure. Let it sit at least two weeks, three would be even better. Then drink and enjoy cold, clear, carbonated beer.

It wont hurt anything, it's not going to ruin your batch because it's on the "out" side of your keg.

Latest posts

Back