Dumb question sorry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A form of freestyle brewing where electricity is used as the main source of energy. This provides a cost efficient alternative to propane. Electric brewing has a higher start-up cost than propane brewing, but has many benefits such as availability, operating cost, lower noise level not mention its just plain cool because not everyone can or should do it.

Please be sure not to kill yourself with it though ;)

Basically using submerged hot water heater elements as your heat source instead of propane or natural gas burners. There are plenty of threads on various system build on Homebrewtalk.

If you do kill yourself can I have your equipment?

Bwaaah!

Instead of a burner, an electric element is used. The element is almost always a water heater element. Sometimes they are loose (search heat stick), but more commonly they are mounted into a kettle. (see mine below).

P6280001.JPG

The advantages are numerous. Electricity is a clean, efficient, and very controllable way to heat your water or wort. If there is also a temperature sensor (i.e., thermocouple) mounted in the kettle, you can build a control panel that can control the exact temperature inside the kettle. Here's my control panel (inside a plastic toolbox).

Toolbox_with_Keggle.JPG

Passedpawn,

Don't want to hijack this thread (don't think anyone will really care) but do you have a 3 keggle setup?

I am going to slowly (like over 5 years) build a Blichmann 2 kettle with cooler MLT setup.

BTW... way off topic... is that your toe in your gallery? Mine looks exactly the same right now. Dropped a 200 lbs heat exchanger on it. Yeah, I chose to skip wearing my steel toes that day... *******.

Passedpawn,

Don't want to hijack this thread (don't think anyone will really care) but do you have a 3 keggle setup?

I am going to slowly (like over 5 years) build a Blichmann 2 kettle with cooler MLT setup.

BTW... way off topic... is that your toe in your gallery? Mine looks exactly the same right now. Dropped a 200 lbs heat exchanger on it. Yeah, I chose to skip wearing my steel toes that day... *******.

Yes, that's my toe. Kicked a curb while jogging. Took 3 months off, but I'm back at it. Next injury, here I come.

The best answer I can give you is Kal's website. Go to that website, and it will all be spelled out for you. He has his whole book right there on his website. I bought the PDF, printed it out, and used it as a reference for the work I've been doing. Kal is the electric Obi-Wan.

Back