Dry Hopping in Fermenator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndak

Reaction score
Have a fermenator with the blow off assembly. I was wondering after primary when you start dryhopping do you connect your 1/2" barb and put a blanket of CO2 over the beer? If not what do you recommend doing?

Thanks,

Vince

I just replace the blow off with a normal bung and airlock. Technically I suppose you could blanket with CO2 but you don't need to really; I've never done that and never had any trouble! Chances are that you will still get a little more CO2 production anyway when the yeasties are stirred up a little from the dry hop addition.

I agree you don't really need to, but it also wouldn't hurt if you decide to. I usually just open it up, dump the hops in and replace the blowoff with a new sanitized bung and airlock. I've never had oxidation issues. The CO2 is heavier than air so you should still have a blanket of CO2...just don't stir things up too much when you open it.

You'll already have a blanket of CO2 due to the CO2 production during fermentation, so you'll be good to go!

Cheers.

Also note that the dry hop can act as nucleation sites for the dissolved CO2 in your beer, so that will cause a little extra blanketing as well.

I've made both PTY and Kern River Citra this year (3-4 dry hop additions each) without adding bottled CO2, and I didn't have any problems. This is really more of a concern with longer term aging.

Back