Hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok, I broke my first hydrometer by having it slip out of my hands right after I took my final gravity reading on my first brew.. (yay I feel special).

now I've been browsing around looking for a decent hydrometer

this one
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beer-and-wine-triple-scale-hydrometer.html

is at my LHBS near me for about $11. I have another LHBS that has their catalog online so I found they have a few for $7 and $5 (the $5 one being labeled "economy hydrometer". now my question is... is it worth it to spend $10-$15 for a hydrometer or should I just get an economy hydrometer?? or is there a "go to " place for getting a decent deal on one (I was worried that the economy hydrometer would be like ultra cheap and fragile since a lot of complaints on amazon was that they would break just by shaking water off them)

I have 2 "cheap" ones and they work just fine. Just make sure to check them for accuracy before you brew. 58 degree water should be 1.000

I got the multi scale glass one with my Cooper's micro brew kit. Bought the extra one as well for $10. Def worth it.

I have 2 "cheap" ones and they work just fine. Just make sure to check them for accuracy before you brew. 58 degree water should be 1.000

But then what do you do if it's not 1.000? Do you add/subtract those points always or try to calibrate it by adding weight or adding buoyancy?

But then what do you do if it's not 1.000? Do you add/subtract those points always or try to calibrate it by adding weight or adding buoyancy?

LIkely, if they are only a point or two off.. I'd correct. If not, I'd return and ask for a new one.. even test at the LHBS.

Problem is.. I don't know if the scales are "linear" If they aren't, one or two points at the bottom end MAY result in more than one or two at the high end. Maybe someone here knows that.

Back