Good beers to try in Maryland?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
I'm headed to Green belt Maryland next week. I haven't been in the area since before I became a certified beer snob. Any suggestions?

Flying Dog, Clipper City, Dogfish Head, brewers ally in Frederick to name a few.

If you can make your way to Baltimore you owe it to yourself to check out Brewers Art on North Charles st. Most excellent brewpub - but go to the basement it's way more laid back than the upstairs bar.
Heavy Seas is a local beer and they seem to be at most places lately. They have a nice selection of beers but the favorite around here is loose cannon, I think its a triple IPA.

Heh, DFH didn't even enter my mind for some reason, probably because it's so prevalent I don't even think about where it comes from. I'll definitely have to go there just to say I did.

Brewers Ally looks intriguing too. I may be able to swing by Brewers Art for pint on my way back to BWI.

Since you'll basically be in DC:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/visiting-dc-send-me-good-bar-217730/

There's some good beer bars listed on that thread as well as a few local breweries/brewpubs.

There's also Port City in Alexandria, VA (tasting only on site IIRC, but they distro a lot locally). I've tried their wit, haven't tried anything else yet. It was pretty tasty. There's a couple brewpubs in the area. There's Hops in Alexandria, Sweetwater Tavern in Sterling VA. There's Capitol City Brewing Co. In all three cases, the both food and beer are passable, but overpriced for what they are.

Heh, DFH didn't even enter my mind for some reason, probably because it's so prevalent I don't even think about where it comes from. I'll definitely have to go there just to say I did.

Brewers Ally looks intriguing too. I may be able to swing by Brewers Art for pint on my way back to BWI.

DFH is out of Deleware. I agree with giving heavy seas loose cannon a taste. Also, if you're a 120 fan, most beer stores seem to have gotten one case and are limiting you to one bottle so it's generally available if you can't find it where you are. I have been able to get 2 bottles so far.

Definitely try Heavy Seas - one of my personal favorites, especially the Loose Cannon IPA. Equally delicious is their Black IPA, Black Cannon. Also of note in the area is Resurrection Ale from the Brewer's Art (amongst other offerings).

Flying Dog from Frederick has teamed up with The Brewer's Art to put out a very nice Belgian Table Beer called Table for Two - maybe grab a sixer of that if you can.

I know they had been mentioned already, I just want to reinforce that they are both worth any effort you can muster.

if you go to bmore head to Max's in fells and also go to brewers art.

If you head to Northern VA be sure to hit up Mad Fox... They have some good stuff on right now.

Casey

Definitely try Heavy Seas - one of my personal favorites, especially the Loose Cannon IPA. Equally delicious is their Black IPA, Black Cannon.

Yep, if you're going to be anywhere near Baltimore, hit this place. They also do a Dubbel Cannon that ROCKS!

I will difinately have to try Heavy Seas.

That Dubbel Cannon looks awesome, I hope I can still get it in July.

+1 on the Brewer's art - and they're canning some of their beers these days so you might be able to find them outside of Baltimore.
Heavy seas is definitely worth a try. Fordham is local as well and is OK. Flying dog is pretty widely available and pretty good.
Lots of PA beers available too - Lancaster, Victory, Troegs, Stoudts, probably some more.

-In Baltimore, Brewer's Art is not to be missed. The best brewery in MD. And you can get Ressurection in cans, and rotating beers in bottle-conditioned 750s (though not on premises).

-Wharf Rat (Fells Point) has a large range of Olivers (English style ales) also available at Pratt St Ale House (but the Wharf rat is a much friendlier and more interesting bar).
-Max's (also Fells Point) has a wide range of beers, some of which may or may not be local depending on what they've got- but always something good.
-Heavy Seas/Clipper City has a great our, esp. if Hugh Sisson leads the tour!
-Stillwater is a local beer as well- funky variations on Belgian style ales, no fixed location.
-Franklin's in Hyattsville (DC suburbs) is another small brewpub no one has mentioned- fair to excellent beers depending on what you like and what they're serving.
-Flying Dog is now based out of Frederick and has a collaboration small beer with Brewer's Art. And their Raging ***** is awesome.
-Brewer's Alley is also in Frederick, mostly German style. Ellicott Mills in Ellicott City, also German style

I will difinately have to try Heavy Seas.

That Dubbel Cannon looks awesome, I hope I can still get it in July.

I had the Dubbel Cannon in a variety pack. It was awesome. The Loose Cannon is very good. I made a clone and it turned out well.

I can see I'm in trouble. I'm only going to be there three days. I may have to mail some home.:mug:

Good luck with the dubbel cannon. I only had one about 6 or 7 weeks ago, it was the first beer I had with that belgian flavor since reading about what it is. There was a nice hint of funk that didn't do anything for me at the time, but since having a few more and now reading this thread I want to try it again. The loose cannon took a few bottles before I really started liking it, as it is the first grapefruity IPA I tried, and I'm wondering if it might be the same with the dubbel cannon.

Anyways, the two liquor stores where I've seen it before were both out when I went searching this morning.

I love the grape-fruity IPA's. Dubbel Cannon sounds a lot like Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin Wild that I love.

To those that have had both, are they similar in any way?

Back