The Perfect Custom College Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbdmc

Reaction score
So I have a few questions about building the perfect college kegerator....

Requirements:

1) Cheap as possible (us college students have no money, just beer savings)

2) Holds a full size keg (again, for college)

3) Holds a 5lb. CO2 tank (most use this size right?)

So basically where can I buy all of these things as cheap as possible that will hold these items? Mainly looking for the cheapest/smallest fridge to convert in order to save on cost. I see most pre-made kegerators are 6.4 cu ft, but can I go smaller and still fit this stuff? I want to keep the CO2 inside too.

Anyone know if building the actual fridge is a good idea or money saver? If so what parts or steps are needed to make one?

Thanks guys!

So I have a few questions about building the perfect college kegerator....

Requirements:

1) Cheap as possible (us college students have no money, just beer savings)

2) Holds a full size keg (again, for college)

3) Holds a 5lb. CO2 tank (most use this size right?)

So basically where can I buy all of these things as cheap as possible that will hold these items? Mainly looking for the cheapest/smallest fridge to convert in order to save on cost. I see most pre-made kegerators are 6.4 cu ft, but can I go smaller and still fit this stuff? I want to keep the CO2 inside too.

Anyone know if building the actual fridge is a good idea or money saver? If so what parts or steps are needed to make one?

Thanks guys!

1. Craiglslist

After that it's really simple. Places like keg connection and micromatic have good prices on all the stuff you need to convert.

here's mine, but it doesn't fit a 1/2bbl sanke - no need there's way to much homebrew to be buying commercial kegs.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-project-haier-hrq04wnaww-43664/
probably $200 all said and done, including the kegs co2 bottle taps paint, etc.

I know a lot of people suggest Craigslist, and im sure its the cheapest route, but could you tell me the cheapest new fridge that will hold a full size commercial keg (I think its called 1/2 barrel) and CO2?

Thanks!!!! :mug:

I really have no clue on that, I don't know that there are that many of us here that worry to much about commercial kegs and probably not 1/2bbl kegs as good beer in those kegs costs quite a bit.

Find a 1/2bbl keg, measure it and find it's volume and dimensions, then go to X big box store and find the cheapest one that fits that.

Good idea! Thanks.

If anyone knows some cheap models that fit CO2 and 1/2 barrel, let me know.

Or if anyone has ever heard of making a refrigerator.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I cant find any regular compact refrigerators that will hold a 1/2 barrel.....? Will it only work with a stand up fridge?

Ya.... reviews I read about that one from home depot say that it doesnt actually fit a 1/2 barrel.

You wouldnt happen to know the approximate cu ft or dimensions that are required to fit one in a fridge would you? Because id like to just find the smallest that will work.

Thanks.

Pretty much every small fridge has a hump on the bottom in the back from the compressor so they will not hold a half barrell. Even if you were to place it on/above the hump they would not be tall enough.

you can probably get the whole setup on CL. I see beer meisters on there all the time and that would work perfectly for what you described. I have seen ones for $150 semi regularly

What parts are needed to completely build a fridge? It cant be that hard right.

I saw bolty do it and post a pic. Ive pm'ed him. Looks pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back