Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sum1Stu

Reaction score
Hi all, been awhile since ive been on here!!

I have a question on my 3month old mead ferment! Its been sitting in a plastic water jug now and been fermenting very slowly, ive gotten it down to 1.010 now I really want to get it out of the plastic jug since their not very good for anyone. I racked into a 3 gal carboy, and I have a half a gal left over.

Should I try to bottle this left-over bits ? I shook it up and the gas inside is incredible!! I do have campden tablets, im just debating whether or not the yeast will pick up fermentation again and blow my bottles. I use beer bottles with caps.

I should mention its very clear, after sitting for so long the EC-1118 really clears quick and compacts good, so there shouldnt be too much yeast floating around.

What was the OG? I ask because the ABV drives the aging requirements and a relatively low ABV mead could just go into a PET bottle and be consumed soon. Alternately, you could bottle and after a week, pry the caps just enough to break the seal. Then let them outgas as they continue to age/ferment.

Hehe its a regular mead, around 11-12% ABV forgot the SG numbers their around somewhere.......

I could do that but wont the air get in and ruin the aging process ? ? I dont mean to keep them for so long, but at least a year.

Im not so sure i like mead that much, it has a very strong alcohol taste to it, its only good if you sip on it slowly, and only when its room temperature. The mead ive made previously to this improoved grreatly with just 5-6 months, but it still could use some smoothing out. It also is only around 11-12%

well if you already 'shook it up' you already introduced a lot of air and may have oxidized to the point it'll be stale in a week.

more details on "i shook it up"

lol I added campden tablets, shook the jug around to dissolve them fully, and bottled them. I still have the 3gal with airlock on it.

Back